oiling the electric motor shaft on ON30 4-6-0 locomotives.

Started by JoeSG, January 11, 2013, 07:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeSG

How do you remove the body, or for that matter what do you need to remove to lube the motor on the 4-6-0?  I have the NP&S set and after several years of operation at XMAS time, I think it needs to have some lube added to the shaft of motor. Do you remove the upper portion of the boiler or the cab? The drawings don't show what to do.

richg

Before doing that, what makes you think the motor needs lubrication? What are the symptoms?

Rich

JoeSG

I have had the loco for a for 6 years now and run it quite a bit at Xmas time, several hours a day and I think its time. I have had trains for around 57 years now and I know when it's time for a little bit of lubing

bobwrgt

Looks like you have to remove both the cab and boiler to expose the motor. Just one drop of oil on the front and rear shaft to the motor works wonders. While apart you might as well add some grease to the worm gear. Spin it a few times and it will transfer to the other gears.

Bob

TimR

My issue, and perhaps it is the same for Joe, is that I can't get the boiler off. After removing the front truck and the all the screws on the underside, you can slip the angled handrails out of the boiler near the smokebox, but the boiler doesn't budge. It is like there is a screw down inside the smokestack OR some hidden plastic tab that holds the boiler firmly in place. The exploded parts diagram doesn't show a screw like that, but I'm not sure what else could be holding so firmly in place unless it as actually glued or something. I like the locos way too much to try to force them apart and possibly break them. (I have 4 of them and like Joe, would like to perform a bit of maintenance and maybe convert them to DCC so I can use them on the same layout as the rest of my roster)

mabloodhound

First, the Bachmann On30 4-6-0 is a new locomotive, released a year ago, not 6 years, so it shouldn't need oiling.
However, if you have something different, look in the smokestack fro the screw.   Many boilers are held on with that screw.
8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

bobwrgt

Not sure on the 4 6 0 but on the 2 6 0 you have to slide the boiler forward while lifting up.

Bob

TimR

By golly, y'all might be right. Not sure now if it was the 2-6-0 or the 4-6-0 I was having an issue with. I think these locos may have originally come in sets, so they were probably the 2-6-0. I'll check further for that screw. Thanks.  :)

JoeSG

Sorry been off line for a while, Yes the Locomotive in Question is a 2-6-0, Northpole and Southern original set. I'll have to attempt to remove it by sliding the whole assembly forward and see what happens. And I agree there is not a screw shown as holding the upper body to the frame other than the one that appears to go through the smokestack. All the guy the does worki for me and I were able to do was damage one sanding pipe. Sure would be nice of Bachmann printed up a better blown up drawing of the locomotive. or maybe a spot on youtube.

willis