News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How to install a Universal smoke unit

Started by itwins02, January 14, 2013, 11:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itwins02

I brought a new train set and want to know
how to install a Smoke Unit [Universal](HO Scale)on Bachmann HO 060 Pacific Flyer Electric that I purchased.
Please reply.

Doneldon

it-

My first suggestion is that you give up the smoke idea. The effect is barely passable at its best and that's only when the loco has been running full speed for a while. In addition to the anemic smoke, you'll wind up with glycerin or glycol all over the top of your loco and the surrounding scenery. This can stain things so they look wet and hold every speck of dust in the county. It's just not great.

If, however, you choose to ignore my advice which you can certainly do since it's your railroad, at least buy a Seuthe smoke unit. It's kind of like the smartest kid in the dumb row of smoke generators. That is, it will be the least disappointing. Check the size specifications on the smoker, open up your loco to see if it will fit easily or if you can install it with a bit of surgery to your loco. Be aware, though, that space is tight under the hood of most locomotives; frames, motors, gears, PCBs and weights pretty much fill things up. If you can go ahead with the install, be sure to include a switch to turn the smoker off. The units burn themselves out quickly if they are run dry and there will certainly be times when you don't want smoke or forget to fill it. ("Fill it" is deceptive; most hold only a quarter teaspoon, max.) The customary location for the smoker switch is behind the smokebox door but the odds are that your door won't be hinged. Try for a location in the cab so you can access the switch without taking the loco off of the rails, even if that means you'll need to use a stick or suchlike to reach it.

Whatever, good luck with your project.

-- D