News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 Questions for Mr Bachmann

Started by ftauss, August 14, 2007, 12:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftauss

One, do you provide customer service? I emailed a week ago and no answer. I tried calling, the phone rang for some time before someone answered. She sounded busy and abrupt. Sent me off to an extension presumably in customer service which again rang for quite some time and was never answered. I have an N 4-4-0 that has been missing the rear truck from the tender since I bought it and put it up a few years back, must have not really noticed it at the time as I'd bought 2. The screw is there, but the head appears smaller than the other screw on the tender or the 2 on the second one.

2 On the EZ Track, Frankly I like it. I want to have something to play around with until a more permanent layout is possible. I have HO and N and am using both. Seems to be a major bias toward the HO Nickel Silver grey. Will there be more selections in the black steel alloy, which works fine for me so far. In particular the insulator sections, more curve options and more switch options. I like the black, I think it looks better unfinished and will weather nicely. Plus I'm cheap (to many interests not enough resources).

Last. I bought a train set for my son a while ago plus some extras. The set came with and/or I bought extra 40' open hoppers (I'm a sucker for an ore load). The cars are in red marked MStL. This was fine at the time, but he's not so intersted and I'd like to integrate them into my layout as Norfolk and Western cars. They are the short list for kadees, a repaint and a coal load. Would Bachmann sell sets of the decal markings? Are they decals or are they applied in a different way? How?

Frank

SteamGene

It's best to call Bachmann on your own dime.  It's a small office, apparently.
The steel with the black base is old technology.  It's like walking into your car dealership and asking for a brand new 1957 model.
Ore in a 40' hopper would just cover the bottom.  Much too heavy.   There are decals that can change the markings off a model available.  Bachmann does not use decals for their models and the markings go on in China.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lanny

Hi Frank,

I'm not Mr. Bach Man, but I will say that my experience is that Bachmann Ind. provides as good a 'customer service' as you will find anywhere in model RRing. At times, their repair service takes a fair amount of time because of the back log of work (after Christmas for example). However please remember that your request is not in the normal pervue of 'service' in that it involves a request for a part that was not 'defective', but rather 'misplaced' some years ago (I assume you had it at one time and it has been since, lost).

I highly recommend you follow Gene's advice, spend 'your dime' and call the direct number (not the 800 number). Bachmann may or may not be able to help you, but they will try to do their best (from my experience, anyway).

Regarding any Bachmann products that don't presently exist ... I 'think' that Mr. Bach Man can only pass along your suggestions and wishes to Bachmann. I don't believe he can initiate any kind of comments or promise anything regarding products that Bachmann Ind. does not presently have in its current catalog.

Micro Scale decals and Champ decals are your best bets for getting decals. As Gene pointed out, Bachmann, as with most all model RR mfg. 'silk screens' or 'stamps' its car and locomotive markings when the item is mfg (in China). Decals are a 'third party' product that can be purchased and added by you after you remove the initial 'paint base' printing.

Since this is model railroading, you can do anything you want with you 40' hoppers, but 'prototypically', as Gene pointed out, an 'ore loaded' 40' hopper would have been impossible because of the weight involved.

best wishes on getting the truck replacement for your locomotive.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Paul M.

Quote from: ftauss on August 14, 2007, 12:00:01 AM
One, do you provide customer service? I emailed a week ago and no answer. I tried calling, the phone rang for some time before someone answered. She sounded busy and abrupt. Sent me off to an extension presumably in customer service which again rang for quite some time and was never answered. I have an N 4-4-0 that has been missing the rear truck from the tender since I bought it and put it up a few years back, must have not really noticed it at the time as I'd bought 2. The screw is there, but the head appears smaller than the other screw on the tender or the 2 on the second one.

2 On the EZ Track, Frankly I like it. I want to have something to play around with until a more permanent layout is possible. I have HO and N and am using both. Seems to be a major bias toward the HO Nickel Silver grey. Will there be more selections in the black steel alloy, which works fine for me so far. In particular the insulator sections, more curve options and more switch options. I like the black, I think it looks better unfinished and will weather nicely. Plus I'm cheap (to many interests not enough resources).

Last. I bought a train set for my son a while ago plus some extras. The set came with and/or I bought extra 40' open hoppers (I'm a sucker for an ore load). The cars are in red marked MStL. This was fine at the time, but he's not so intersted and I'd like to integrate them into my layout as Norfolk and Western cars. They are the short list for kadees, a repaint and a coal load. Would Bachmann sell sets of the decal markings? Are they decals or are they applied in a different way? How?

Frank

As for the decals, you have a  couple of options:

Champ, Microscale, etc

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

I don't think Champ does N Scale.  In addition it handles primarily steam/transition era markings, IIRC. 
It does, however, still have an enormous inventory.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jayl1

Champ only does HO & O gauge decals.

Paul M.

Quote from: SteamGene on August 14, 2007, 10:46:50 AM
I don't think Champ does N Scale.  In addition it handles primarily steam/transition era markings, IIRC. 
It does, however, still have an enormous inventory.
Gene
Quote from: jayl1 on August 14, 2007, 11:09:03 AM
Champ only does HO & O gauge decals.

Sorry. I didn't know.

www.microscale.com might have the decals you need, though.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

the Bach-man

Dear Frank,
We do have customer service, and the suggestions made above will serve you well. Call the 215 number and ask for Bridget. There are no plans I know of for black EZ Track in N. Finally, we don't make decals, and have no plans to do so.
Have fun!
the Bach-man