News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

smoke deflectors

Started by union pacific 844, January 14, 2013, 01:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 844

smoke deflectors where get a set for the nyc bachmann 4-8-4  want a set to paint gray and put them on my UP bachmann 4-8-4

Jerrys HO

up

This has been asked before and  I don't think they are available from anyone.
Do a search you will find the post.

Jerry

GN.2-6-8-0

I shouldn't think it would be to hard to make a set of defectors out of thin sheet plastic .you would want a pair of braces on the inside between the defector and the boiler but should be simple enough to do.......
Rocky Lives

union pacific 844

ok im not good at making stuff tho  :(

electrical whiz kid

Not to rain on your parade here, but maybe it is time to jump in a bit and see if you like it.  There is a whole world of enjoyment and personal satisfaction-I don't care what anyone else thinks of it-it is going to be yours that you did.  Smoke deflectors are a relatively easy straightforward project; why don;t you give it a try?
Rich C.

union pacific 844

i have they don't look right

union pacific 844

i did ten time none of them fit or look right

rogertra

Quote from: union pacific 844 on January 14, 2013, 04:05:53 PM
i did ten time none of them fit or look right

Smoke deflectors must be among the easiest item to build as they are just flat sheet metal with possibly handrails fitted.

Did you study photos first?

Did you use thin sheet styrene plastic to make them?  The stuff Evergreen makes?

Did you draw, to scale, the shape of the defectors onto the styrene sheet?

Did you use a brand new hobby knife blade to cut out the defectors?

Did you use liquid styrene cement?

richg

Micro Mark has stuff for making rivets. Super Detailing take practice and patience. It is not plug and play for impatient people.
I remember many years go seeing some stuff for trains and i said to myself, that does not look too hard. Big mistake. Took a lot of practice.
You can use styrene or brass. Some use a light hammer and a pointed punch. Some use an automatic center punch with a tip modified for the proper size rivet.
NWSL sells a rivet making tool the last I knew.
A Google search for making ho scale rivets will get you links.

Rich

Doneldon

844-

You don't even have to punch rivets if you don't want to. There are now
decal rivets which go on just like any other decals. I'm guessing that there
must be a bit of a noticable edge of the decal but it sure seems like a much
easier process than punching rivets.

-- D

sd24b

Quote from: union pacific 844 on January 14, 2013, 01:10:07 AM
smoke deflectors where get a set for the nyc bachmann 4-8-4  want a set to paint gray and put them on my UP bachmann 4-8-4
MR in the late 60's had a short article on how to make them from thin sheet plastic.  Made a pair of them for a AHM Berkshire. Phil

electrical whiz kid

Doneldon;
Hi.  I have a set of thise "rivets" and am summoning up the courage-kidding.  I would think that, given they are thin decals, the proceedure would be the same as with other decaling processes.  When time permits, I have a lot of decalling to do, enough to keep me busy until-say-the next presidential elections...so I will try them then.  I seem to remember comments regarding using "Future" on the model first, as you would use gloss paint.
Rich C.

Doneldon

Rich-

Yes, the procedure is the same for rivet decals and conventional
decals for lettering or whatever. I mentioned the line for the edge
of the rivet decal because I believe it would show.

-- D

ryeguyisme

with all the time and money you're putting into this project, why not just buy an FEF? instead trying to mock one up?

Not trying to burst your bubble here, but you can get the models pretty cheap if you set your mind to it. Even the brass market is flooding with different FEF's and they're coming down in prices.