News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

smoke deflectors

Started by union pacific 844, January 14, 2013, 01:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 844

NuthinDragginOwt

Is it a Rivarossi FEF or just a mocked up Bachmann FEF from an NYC or ATSF prototype? I agree that if you look around you will find an actual Rivarossi/AHM FEF for good prices at times. I have seen the Rivarossi models occasionally at train shows for $50, Ebay has a couple cheap ones right now too. If you have your heart set on making them, they can easily be made out of styrene with a sharp hobby knife, a ruler (preferably a metal one so you don't accidentally cut into it), a small square (this tool is optional but helpful), and of course model glue.
Ryan

electrical whiz kid

Doneldon;
I usually use thin-film decals-like the kind that Steve and Sharon Funaro use in their kits.  They look-like a million dollars.  They had one set of decals on this Canadian National eight-hatch reefer, and they were a three-step as I remember, and boy, didn't I get nervous doing the overlays.  They can be a challenge and a half!  One wrong step and it is ; go in the corner, sit down, and have a good cry.  They all came out pretty good though.  I guess the best advice one can give the newbies here is to just go slowly, take your time, and read the instructions (before you start...)
Having never used Future as a base coat for decals, I am interested to in giving it a go; probably on an old (or not so old )undec boxcar.  Any experience?
Rich C.

union pacific 844

Doneldon

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on January 18, 2013, 08:24:09 PM
Having never used Future as a base coat for decals, I am interested to in giving it a go; probably on an old (or not so old )undec boxcar.  Any experience?
Rich C.

Rich-

Actually no. I've used various gloss materials, including acrylic which is basically the same as Future, with excellent results. The
reason I haven't used Future is that it's designed to be a comparatively heavy, protective coat for floors and I don't like the idea of a
detail-obscuring coating. A thin spritz of other things adds almost no bulk so it is easily concealed. I am aware, though, that there
are lots of people who swear by the Future technique.

-- D