News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ho scale steam locomotives

Started by mondell1, January 15, 2013, 09:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mondell1

Big question, I am in the market for an HO scale steam locomotive with both a smoke unit, and dcc sound for a standard HO layout, and if possible medium priced.

jonathan

Mondell,

There are some additional consideration factors when shopping for a steam locomotive:

What are the radii of your curves?  This will determine how large a steamer you can look for.

How bad do you need the smoke unit?  There is a company that markets DCC/Sound Steamers with smoke. They are NOT medium priced.

Bachmann has a good selection of steam locomotives to meet your needs (without smoke, however).

The 2-8-0 Sound/DCC Consolidation is a good all around steam locomotive.  They are no longer produced with sound, but plenty are available through other sources (read 'eBay' or the like).

If you have large curves (24" radius or better), the EM-1 (sound module sold separately) is a wonderful locomotive.

If small is your thing, the 2-6-0 (sound value), 4-4-0 or 2-10-0 decapod may fit the bill.

Another great loco is the 2-6-6-2 (sound).  Those can still be had through alternate shopping sources.

Just a few thoughts help with your search.

Regards,

Jonathan

P.S. "Medium" price is relative.  Sound adds to the cost of a locomotive.

CNE Runner

Mondell - Having come out of years of Lionel collecting (and running) you do not want locomotives that 'smoke'. Nothing ruins an operations evening like a cellar-full of smoke - resulting from running 3 or 4 'smoking' locomotives. Additionally the smoke, which is produced by heating an oil-based substance, produces a residue...which coats everything. I strongly suggest that you rethink that decision.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"