News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new to dcc

Started by jadobsch, January 16, 2013, 07:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jadobsch

i just recently started HO scale trains with my son and this dcc is new to me. I had Santa Fe Flyer set when i was a kid but that was 20 years ago so it was all dc. We now have the Ringmaster and Thomas set. And it was after i left the train show that i found out about dcc. So i wasn't able to ask if the trains we bought could be converted to dcc.

richg

Welcome.

Many locos can be converted to DCC but the ones you have will require soldering.
Below is a link you can look at on different brands of locos, including many from Bachmann. You will see DCC ready,, not DCC ready, plug and play.
That brand of decoder is quite good but I would suggest a DCC system also.
You can run these decoders on DC as they are what is called dual mode decoders.
Try to ask first before purchasing so you get what you really need.
There is a learning curve on DCC.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/HO_Search/search.html

Store the link in Favorites for future use.

Rich

richg

Here is a photo of a basic non sound decodeer. Ignore the added capacitorr, diode and resistor for now.
A basic decoder will have seven wires.

Many, not all, decoders with have seven connections.
The plug in ones will many times, not all, have an 8 pin NMRA plug.
Many Bachmann locos, not all, have an 8 pin receptacle in the tender.
You will eventually find quite a few variations on connectors or no connectors. Just a bunch of wires soldered to the decoder. Those you have to solder. You do know how to solder? Might be another discussion.

In the Parts section, you can see diagrams of many of the Bachmann locos.
Do yourself a favor, take time to look though the complete Bachmann site.
The manuals are there for different products, including the DCC info.
Many fail to do that here and have to be led by the hand.
Decoders come with wiring instructions. Don't throw them away. Some people do.

Rich

jadobsch

Thankyou for the info and yes i do know how to solder so hopefully i can figure this all out.

jward

i posted a pictorial on how to install a decoder in thomas a while back. search for the thread "thomes gets a decoder"
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

One thing to be aware of, locos that are not DCC ready will have the two motor contact's connected directly to the track pickups. You will have to disconnect those two contacts from the pickups.
Some have  installed the decoder without disconnecting the motor contacts and instantly smokes the decoder.
As far as lights, I do not know what those two locos have for lights, if any.
No idea on the color wires in these locos. There are standard colors for DCC wiring. The diagram I posted before shows you the seven colors for non sound decoders.

Rich

richg

Quote from: jward on January 16, 2013, 09:56:37 PM
i posted a pictorial on how to install a decoder in thomas a while back. search for the thread "thomes gets a decoder"

I just happened to have it Bookmarked. He would have had trouble searching for thomes. lol

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,17870.0.html

Rich