News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dcc wiring issue

Started by ReRichie, January 16, 2013, 05:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReRichie

Hi there
Hope someone can help, i have recently rekindled my love for this hobby and bought a new e z command (dcc) and hooked it up to my dc layout which sits on 6ft * 4ft. After researching the best I can thought everything was wired up ok ( dc worked fine beforehand) only now with new controller, both my original dc loco's and new dcc loco's don't respond, they just cruise round quite slowly, with no response to controls. Any ideas?

skipgear

Sounds like a bad EZ Command. From the description, it is putting out straight DC to the track at around 5V. Enough voltage for the DCC locos to power up but not enough to make the DC locos run very fast.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

poliss

It is not recommended to run DC locos on DCC as the motors may burn out.
Do your DCC locos actually have decoders fitted or were they described as DCC Ready? DCC Ready locos do not have a decoder fitted.
DC power tracks and power clips may be fitted with a capacitor which will interfere with the DCC 'signal'.

skipgear

Quote from: poliss on January 17, 2013, 10:54:34 AM
It is not recommended to run DC locos on DCC as the motors may burn out.
Do your DCC locos actually have decoders fitted or were they described as DCC Ready? DCC Ready locos do not have a decoder fitted.
DC power tracks and power clips may be fitted with a capacitor which will interfere with the DCC 'signal'.

You can run a DC loco just fine on a DCC system, what you don't want to do is let it set still for an extended amount of time.

Even if all the locos are DC, they still would not exhibit the actions described on a properly working DCC system. A DC loco on a DCC system will just set there and hum unless you set the address to zero and add throttle. The only thing that would cause what he is describing is low voltage DC on the track, something a DCC system shouldn't produce.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950