News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Customer Service

Started by LVRR, January 17, 2013, 10:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LVRR

Since I fried my EZ DCC I took some advice to contact Bachmann about repair options and costs.  I e-mailed customer service as requested on the web site. I received an acknowledge and was advised that I would receive an answer via e-mail. I waited three days for the answer that never arrived, I then decided to try a phone call.  That was answered by a rude sounding automated voice message telling me to leave my information and Bachmann would contact me via a phone call. Two days later still no phone call. 

I had been considering purchasing a Dynamis system to replace my fried unit but this lack of support has forced me to order a competitors system instead. Bachmann makes fine products but in my opinion it stops there. Thanks for reading this.

Steve

the Bach-man

Dear Steve,
Call (215)533-1600 and ask for Bridget in service.
We are just finishing inventory, which may account for the delay.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

ChrisS

I hate to be the one that mentions this..... But, everytime someone calls or emails customer service, it's the same problem, and the same type of answer; holidays too busy, inventory too busy, must've slipped through the cracks.... Etc.

Why?

LVRR

The dreaded auto-voice------our menu has changed-----your call is very important to us-----you are number 30 in line-----
all agents are busy helping other customers----please hold for the next representative----the agent is not available so please leave a voice message----I'm away from my desk so leave a message.     So normal in our society.  They should play "taps" instead of elevator music.

Steve

the Bach-man

DearSteve,
Dis you call the number I posted?
the Bach-man

LVRR

Update:  As of now I have received no replies from customer service. Yesterday I called the recommended  number for Bridget. The number was answered by a robo voice, after listening to 15 options I was connected to Bridget.  Well, I was greeted by a message stating that she was not available and that I should leave a message and I would be called back.  Still waiting for the call.

History of my contacts.    Jan 14--left message.   Jan 16--sent e-mail, acknowledged.   Jan 21--- robo system sent me to the customer service manager, left message.   Jan 22--left message for Bridget.   

Steve

the Bach-man

Dear Steve,
I spoke with Bridget today, and she will be in touch.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

ChrisS

Why is it so hard to actually get service? I'm curious. I have spent a small fortune on Bachmann on30 items. 9 locomotives and 32 cars....... And if I had to go through what some of these folks do, I'd publicly loose it

LVRR

I believe that some in the model train industry, while striving to make more intensively detailed locomotives along with operating systems that are very daunting to the average user, have not put that same effort into customer service. An example is a Athearn SD70M, this is a fine looking loco, but the detailing and electronics are so fragile that we just leave it on a siding for decoration. Once in awhile we'll turn it on to demonstrate the lights, which have since failed. Another example is a sound/movement decoder I put in a loco, the wiring is so tiny and the solder joints come undone too easily ,yes I have repaired them, but should I have to.

Our hobby industry produces many outstanding products, these products serve to keep the hobby interesting , but at the same time the service system causes way too many headaches for the consumer. My 69 year old eyes and hands struggle too much in my effort to use and repair the new products.  All I ask is for the manufacturer to stand behind their products and provide timely technical assistance, and be willing to go beyond the basics to ensure that the consumer is satisfied with the product.

Steve

rbryce1

Quote from: ChrisS on January 22, 2013, 11:42:23 PM
Why is it so hard to actually get service? I'm curious. I have spent a small fortune on Bachmann on30 items. 9 locomotives and 32 cars....... And if I had to go through what some of these folks do, I'd publicly loose it

What is even more disturbing is that this is NOT the first thread on this issue, in fact there have been many threads on this issue.  The last one I recall, just "went away", like it was sensored or something.  I was one of many who posted a comment there and several days later went back to review if any more had come of the issue which was posted, and the thread was totally gone.  I even did a search of all of my posts and it was not there.  Hopefully, the person who started the thread was the one who removed it.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: LVRR on January 23, 2013, 09:03:15 AM
I believe that some in the model train industry, while striving to make more intensively detailed locomotives along with operating systems that are very daunting to the average user, have not put that same effort into customer service. An example is a Athearn SD70M, this is a fine looking loco, but the detailing and electronics are so fragile that we just leave it on a siding for decoration. Once in awhile we'll turn it on to demonstrate the lights, which have since failed. Another example is a sound/movement decoder I put in a loco, the wiring is so tiny and the solder joints come undone too easily ,yes I have repaired them, but should I have to.

Our hobby industry produces many outstanding products, these products serve to keep the hobby interesting , but at the same time the service system causes way too many headaches for the consumer. My 69 year old eyes and hands struggle too much in my effort to use and repair the new products.  All I ask is for the manufacturer to stand behind their products and provide timely technical assistance, and be willing to go beyond the basics to ensure that the consumer is satisfied with the product.

Steve

When I read a comment like the one I've bolded, I suddenly don't feel so "out of it" for concentrating my motive power in "vintage" DC locomotives. They don't have the details or the fancy gizmos, but they're easy to maintain, they pull, and they run. My Bachmann Richmond 4-4-0s are beautiful engines. I have no problem with them, and they've never given me a problem--but they also don't get much running time because the details are so fragile I don't like to handle them much.

But this thread is supposed to about customer service, and I'm digressing. The only time I've had to be in contact with Bachmann Customer Service I was generally satisfied with the experience.

Jerrys HO

I have to put my opinion out here so as the readers won't be misled.
I think Bachmann has the best warranty policy than any other manufacturer.
One thing no one takes into consideration is that this hobby is bringing in more people than any other hobby out there (I know because I do just about all of them). This also brings a new breed of customers with little knowledge or patience to read the directions on how to hook things up or use them properly which usually destroys the device they are working with. Even the experienced modeler has problems from time to time where they may not be able to repair it themselves. I have never heard of a situation where Bachmann has refused to repair or replace the item. Try that with other manufacturers.
I have returned a few loco's for warranty and have never had to wait long provided I returned the loco in the way Bachmann wants it done. I also never try to return things around a holiday and expect it to come back in a couple of weeks.
One thing one has to realize is they do not build them in Pa. they do there best to repair them and sometimes I would imagine they have to wait on a replacement from China. I am sure it would be hard to stock all the different parts and loco's etc. that they manufacture.
I am told by my wife I will die at a very old age as I let nothing stress me out.

Jerry

Bucksco

While there is absolutely no excuse for poor customer service a little bit of patience needs to be exercised at this time of year. The months of December and particularly January are the busiest time of year in this industry. Bachmann (as well as other model train manufacturers) are bombarded with service issues that range from product issues, shipping issues, lots of clubs and organizations calling for help and donations and the annual warehouse and service department inventory that can take up to 3 weeks to complete. Although many folks think Bachmann is a very large company we are in actuality fairly small compared to other industries. We are not making excuses but merely asking for a bit of patience while we get through our busiest time of the year. The Bach Man is correct - the best way to speak with a customer service representative is to call our direct number but at this time of year it is not an absolute guarantee that you will get through to someone on the first try.

As someone else stated Bachmann does have the best warranty in the model train industry. We stand behind the product for the life of the product. I don't believe there are many companies that can say that these days. So bear with us and we will all work together.

ChrisS

If you're so busy this time of year from the holiday purchases and repair issues, how about delaying your 3 week inventory that adds to your issue of responding to customer and answering the phone?

NarrowMinded

I think our society has lost it's mind... maybe it's just my age but everyone wants instant gratification NOW NOW NOW...  everyone thinks they should just go straight to the front of the line, they never stop to think that some things take time no matter how upset you are that your toy train broke it's not the end of the world.

I may be out of place here, but I don't care, when I read these postings I picture spoiled children jumping up and down because they dropped there lollipop.

As for a lot of these topic's showing up, I am sorry to say that on the occasions I have had dealing with great service from Bachmann i did not come here to post my thanks to them, and I bet not many do, but  when people get upset warranted or not you can bet they want to scream it out with the "I'll teach them Not to jump when I say jump" attitude that I so often read in these post.

NM-Jeff