train derails going into switch

Started by old ironside, January 18, 2013, 10:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old ironside

I bought the ez track crossover and my broadway and proto2000 locos derail every third or so trip around the track if the loco is to go straight.  If it is to go through the switch, they run fine.  It looks set and does not move when it try to make sure it is flush.

Doneldon

iron-

Tell us more.

Do these locos work okay on other turnouts? Do other locos make it through these turnouts
uneventfully? These two questions will help locate the problem -- turnout or locomotive.

We know the manufacturers of your locos but which locos are they?

Have you checked the gauge of your wheels and rails?

Do the points move the full distance and stay fully thrown? Is there any perceptable "bump"
or catch where the points contact the stock rails? Which wheels derail? This last one is very
important.

-- D

jbrock27

Ironsides-

Do you have a NMRA HO Standards Gauge?  It is an extremely handy multi use tool.  I looks like a flat piece of stainless steel, shaped like the side of a Dutch barn.  It will allow you to check the gauge (space) between the wheels on anything-locos, cars, to makes sure they are the right distance apart so the wheels run on the track without probs.  It even comes with instructions on how to check turnouts and several other uses.  You can use it to check the gauge (space) of the track rails.  One of the best HO items I have EVER purchased.

If you pushed a car across the turnout, does the same thing happen?  If possible, get to eye level with the turnout while the loco is running and watch how it behaves through the turnout.  Do the same with a car.  Doing these things may give you some idea of where the problem is-wheels or the turnout. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

Bachmann turnouts are notorious for point picking.  A little filing of the points and the stock rail where they meet cures this.  Go to the Virginian video series part 8 where they show you how

jbrock27

I don't doubt that they are, much like a lot of turnouts.  But if it was me, I'd want to see what was happening with the wheel action of the vehicle going through the turnout first before I started filing.  To me, this would give me the best idea of figuring out 'why' it was happening and from there, I could go about trying to figure out the 'how' of trying to solve it. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Joe323

Would care to provide a link? I have looked all over and seem to not be able to bring it up.

Jerry

jward

i believe the virginian video series was a project layout for model railroader a year or two ago. try their web site.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe323

Oh I am sorry i forgot which site i was posting on The Virginian is a video series from last year I think on the Model Railroader magazine site.  www.model railroader.com,  not sure if you need to be a subscriber to view. But if you aren't its worth c

Joe323

Sorry its hard for me to type on an Iphone maybe I can post the link later from my PC.

NarrowMinded

Also check the coupler to make sure it is not catching on the turnout, you may have to bend the wire up a little to clear it.

NM-Jeff