Looking for recommendations on a 40W soldering pencil

Started by jbrock27, January 19, 2013, 09:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

I am looking to replace my Radio Shack 40W soldering pencil that I have had some time now.  I find the tips don't hold up for very long, even with "tinning" them.  Seems the tip, before long loses material from the very end of it.
I was considering replacing it with a Weller 40W pencil.  Anyone have any thoughts, experiences, recommendations?
Thanks all.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

jbrock27 :check out Micro-Mark they sell  several types of soldering equipment .   I don't do soldering often enough  to  retain the skill to do it well .  However  I  used to use resistance soldering equipment  when I worked as a electrical inspector  we were expected to make and repair the connections for our automated  testing equipment . One of these days I am going to break down and buy one. They make large amounts of soldering much faster. J2.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

I started out with a 100 watt solder gun in 1953 with tube circuits. Have not used that gun in  many years.

Below is what I have used for some time. A Weller WLC100 solder station. Love the plated tips. I have not had to file a tip in many years since companies went to plated tips.
The Radio Shack tip cleaner is a great asset.
The fine conical tip at 50 percent heat for DCC wires and PC boards.
The wedge tip at 75 percent heat for track feeders.
Micro Mark has an equivalent station.

I use a quad eutectic solder which is by far the best electronic solder I have ever used over the years. Used for high end audio equipment and quite expensive.

Rich

jbrock27

Hello Rich

Yes, I saw you post a picture of this in one of your other posts from the past.  I bet this is great and obviously you have gotten good service from it for many, many years.  I think for now, a 40W pencil would suit my needs.  Since this is a Weller, would you recommend Weller's version of the 40W pencil iron?

Also, you mentioned filing the tip of the soldering pencil-is this possible to do, if one is careful?

Thanks very much for your response and help.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

i use a 40 watt weller iron with as pistol grip and several removable tips. i bought mine for about $15 or so at lowes, and it's held up for several years now. much better than anything you can get at radio shack.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

...I guess you must have seen this post...

Agree 100%.  I could get to a LOWES, but HOME DEPOT is closer, + I have a gift card.  I know they have a Weller Pencil, I will have to see if they have your pistol grip.  That is an excellent price in my view by the way.
Keep Calm and Carry On

James in FL

Look here for tip care.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Soldering-Iron-Tip-Care/

Running your iron hotter than you need to kills your tips.
My Weller station is similar to rich's, as I need to have heat control.
IMO, Weller makes quality product.

Good luck

jbrock27

Thanks Jim.  Always heard good things about Weller.  Those stations certainly are nice, but much more than I need.

Question: how long do you let the iron heat up before using?  How many minutes, if I could ask.

Thanks.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 19, 2013, 04:24:42 PM
Hello Rich

Yes, I saw you post a picture of this in one of your other posts from the past.  I bet this is great and obviously you have gotten good service from it for many, many years.  I think for now, a 40W pencil would suit my needs.  Since this is a Weller, would you recommend Weller's version of the 40W pencil iron?

Also, you mentioned filing the tip of the soldering pencil-is this possible to do, if one is careful?

Thanks very much for your response and help.

What ever you get today should come with a iron plated tip. DO NOT file them. They do not need to be filed. That is the reason for the iron plating. The older copper tips are the ones that needed filing.

Many years ago some made a rig using a common 60 watt light bulb that they would switch in series with one 110 volt lead to cut down the heat to the soldering iron and would switch it out when soldering. Many years ago we used what worked.

Today a heat controlled iron does that autoamtically.

It is also too easy to walk off for a drink or whatever and forget the iron laying on a simple prop and might roll off onto something and damage it. Don't ask me how I know that.

Many use a wet sponge, Wet paper towel even works.
I stick the tip into the Radio Shack tip cleaner which helps keeping the tip cleaner a little longer.

I have and many others have used a 40 watt pencil type but we have the experience and know the balance between applying the tip to the solder point and exactly when to touch the heated spot with the solder. That is very important when soldering track feeders.

Many try to hit the iron tip first with the solder and end up with a poor connection if any is made at all.

Above all, practice on scrap first.
Some try to take a short cut when learning how to solder new stuff right away and end up with cold solder joints and frustration.

Don't try to take shortcuts. Do it right the first time.

I just find the station so much more easier to use and I can change tips which helps when I am soldering small things like the PC board connections.

A well treated soldering iron tip will always be useful.

Rich

richg

Weller has very good products.
Have you done any looking at Micro Mark?

http://www.micromark.com/soldering-irons-and-tips.html

They have a station for #34.00.

Forget the cordless.

Rich

richg

One more thing. Once you file the plating off the tip, you will find youreslf filing the tip a lot lot more and you put yourself back quite a few years.
Old habits die hard for some.

Rich

jbrock27

ok, ok

That does seem like a very reasonable price.  I promise I will check it out.
I like the info James provided, as contained within it, it talks about keeping solder on the tip when stored to prevent oxidation of the tip.  Makes all the sense and never thought of that before.

Thanks Rich.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

...and yes, having taken the tip to my lighter stone on my benchgrinder in between these posts, to get a tip back on it, I now see how it is copper underneath.  And this tip while not old (was bought 2 month ago) was an inexpensive one (Radio Shack).
Keep Calm and Carry On