Looking for recommendations on a 40W soldering pencil

Started by jbrock27, January 19, 2013, 09:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

James in FL

QuoteQuestion: how long do you let the iron heat up before using?  How many minutes, if I could ask.

That depends on the iron, the size of the tip, and what I want to solder.
I'll turn it on about 5 - 10 minutes before I need to use it.

jbrock27

Thanks Jim.

I asked bc I think I let the iron sit too long before using it, as you touched on.  I put a timer on for 10 minutes, and I am thinking in doing that I am letting the tip get too hot.  I don't know how they categorize the tip sizes, but I would call it 'medium' as compared to the smaller tip on a 15W pencil I have.  I used the 40W recently to remove a transistor and "pot" from a power pack circuit board (a Railpower 1300).  I also use the 40W when I doing Athearn renovations.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

RichG, wanted you to know that I followed your advice and obtained a Weller WLC100 soldering station.  Old habits are beginning to die ;) 
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Quote from: jbrock27 on June 15, 2013, 09:46:21 AM
RichG, wanted you to know that I followed your advice and obtained a Weller WLC100 soldering station.  Old habits are beginning to die ;) 

Been there, done that. I have a few T shirts about old habits.

Rich

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: jbrock27 on June 15, 2013, 09:46:21 AM
Didn't know you were in the market. I am very familiar with that unit. Good buy. You will love the adjustable temp and ease of use with the holder. And all right there on a, sturdy, stable, but light enough to push around, base.