Bach Man, are your HO #4 switches power-routed?

Started by steveeusd, February 10, 2007, 09:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveeusd

Bach Man or anyone else--

Are Bachmann's HO #4 switches power-routed so that the direction of the switch energizes one track and does not electrify the other?

Steve

chewie8han

I'm not totally sure what you mean by the #4 switches, since Bachmann only makes #5 and #6 switches.  They also make a remote turnout but that's not numbered because it's a curved turnout.

Either which way, I don't think ANY of the HO scale Bachmann turnouts are power routed.  The N scale remote turnouts are power routed, but unless you switch scales, that doesn't help you at all.

From your other post, I would guess that you'll have to isolate it and use a toggle switch to convert the turnout section from DCC to DC and to turn off the power.  I don't have any idea how to do that, but I think I've seen it in Model Railroader magazine.

Kevin

steveeusd

Kevin--

Thank you for your reply.  You are right, I don't think Bachmann made #4 switches per se, I just assumed that the cheapest ones were #4 since the other two were #5 and #6, respectively.  Anyway, it sounds like I'll have to set up blocks for the sidings I mentioned in previous post. 

Thanks again,

Steve

steveeusd

Bach man and others--

I realized that the number #4 switch I mentioned in my previous post may not be #4 switches after all.  I just assumed they were since the two options Bachmann offers are #5 and #6 switches, respectively.   Whether they are "#4" or not, my question still holds: are these remote switches with curves (item #44561-left; and item # 44562 - right)  power routed or not.  One respondent indicated that they are not.  What have others experienced?

Thanks for your input,

Steve  

the Bach-man

Dear Steve,
Our regular remote turnouts, unlike the numbered turnouts, have a curved section basically overlaid on a straight section for use in sectional track layouts. They are not power routing.
Numbered turnouts, like their prototypes, have a divergent straight section. The number tells how many units of straight run equal one unit of divergence, like rise and run on a roof.
Have fun!
the Bach-man