DCC loco stops and starts suddenly

Started by sgray128, January 20, 2013, 02:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgray128

Sirs: I have a one month old Bachmann DCC ALCO Steam loco that I'm having an issue with.

When under DCC control from a Digitrax controller, my DCC Diesel will run for hours at any speed, but the new Steam engine will go about 10 seconds and stop. It'll stop for about 5 seconds and then run again. It'll repeat this as long as I let it.

It doesn't seem to be related to where on the track it is, and the other DDC loco does not do this.

It stops and starts when using the Digitrax box, and when connected to the Friewald Train Controller software. But when using the software it only restarts sometimes; mostly it just stops.

In all cases, if I move the throttle a little it will restart.

Can anyone offer any wisdom?

kewatin

in regards to your query i too had 1 n gauge steam loco that had similar issues in that it would run for 2 ft &stop run 2 ft&stop etc. i was using a nce power cab and even when trying on dc it would still had the same issues as above. i assumed it was a decoder issue & sent it back to bachmann for repair&or replacement,which they did as it was like yours fairly new and was covered under warranty,for which their service is excellent. DID YOU TRY IT ON DC to confirm it has the same problem.
regards&later KEWATIN

jward

as the previous poster said, try it on dc with the decoder.

i'd also disconnect the decoder and use the dummy plug to run it on dc. if it exhibits the problem with the decoder in the circuit, but not with the dummy plug your decoder is bad and probably overheating. they shouldn't do that after 10 seconds of running.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bapguy

Do you have another throttle hooked up to the Digitrax?E a UT4x or DT40xx? If yes,  you may have this loco on 2 throttles. You have to make sure it is dispatched from the throttle. If no ttry it on DC. could be a bind in the mechanism or bad decoder.  Joe