Bachmann 44912 reverse module

Started by rhody, January 26, 2013, 10:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhody

Hi, I have a few questions regarding the 44912 reverse module. In the 2012 catalog on page 37, it is mentioned that the module eliminates the complicated wiring previously needed to operate ANALOG reverse loop track layouts. Is this module designed for use with analog dc or dcc systems? I have a G scale layout and plan to use reverse loops. Will this module control more than one loop or is one needed for each loop? Thanks, rhody

Jerrys HO

rhody

The reverse loop module is for DCC layouts only.
Yes it can control more than 1 loop as long as you don't trip both loops at the same time. I used one module until I received my second one. I felt safer using two.
Here's a quick link from Bachmann showing how it works. It start's at 5:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xb9w9on05g

Jerry

Doneldon

rhody-

The 44912 works on DCC only. I think the talk about simplifying DC wiring, etc., is just a subtle message to encourage (read "sell") the use of DCC. The 44912 can be used to control more than one reverse loop (or wye or turntable) at a time but be sure that you will never need it to work for two situations at the same time. It's OK if it must do its duty for one location and then a different location a second later but you'll smell trouble and get a visit from the magic smoke if it gets simultaneous requests for service.

-- D

jward

you didn't say if you were running dc or dcc. if you are looking for a simple way to control the polarity of a reversing loop on dc, consider using a bridge rectifier. you would need one rated at least 3 amps, and you connect the ac terminals to the power pack or block selector switch, the dc side goes to the tracks. to operate, you run the train into the loop, and throw the power pack's direction switch while in the loop. the only drawback is that the loop becomes a one way section of track, as the rectifier will output the same polarioty regardless of its input. backing a train up is not possible. if you can live with that, it is both cheap and simple. note thast this is a DC ONLY solution.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA