News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Remote Crossover Turnouts

Started by Maverick1, January 11, 2013, 10:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maverick1

I have two remote crossover turnouts and when my DCC controlled engines go over them the engine either stops for a second or two or it will stop altogether.  What am I doing wrong or what did I miss.   Thanks

jward

are the frogs electrically powered? if so, maybe the connection is the wrong polarity. if not, maybe your engines are hesitating on a dead frog. i would suspect the former, as dcc systems are quick to shut down and reset themselves when they encounter a short. i had a similar problem when i first got into dcc, with intermittent shorts whenever a train went through a switch. i was using all rail, ower routing types i had built myself, and the points were both the same polarity. when the metal wheels went through the switch, they were riding a rail of one polarity and their backs were brushing against a point of the opposite polarity.
the cure was simple, isolate the frog from the points, and wire the points to their adjacent stock rail.

just some things to look at.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

I have two Bachmann crossovers one DCC controlled and the other switch controlled and have never had an issue with any of my loco's from my small 0-6-0 to my GP's and SD's.
Is your controller showing a short (light's blinking or beeping sounds) or is it just loosing power.
Check your rail joiners and make sure you are getting voltage  through the crossover. You may have it on one side and a rail joiner loose on the other side and causing that side to lose voltage.
Like Jeff said check your polarity you may have a reverse loop section or I have even encountered a rail being pushed into the frog when I was installing the turnout on my layout. Make sure all the rails have a gap at the frog.

Jerry

Maverick1

Thanks guys good place for me to start