News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Another 2-6-6-2 question

Started by Kasman727, January 05, 2013, 01:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kasman727

Another question related to 2-6-6-2 sound intallation.  Can the plugin sound decoder for the new 2-4-4-2 be used in the 8pin connector on the the 2-6-6-2?
Kevin

Burlington Route

In theory, I don't see why not...while the 2-4-4-2 would be a milder steam sound due to the lessor wheel assembly and supposedly smaller cylinders...if you over thought it....than the 2-6-6-2, they are both the same dual cylinder sound...so in theory- yes, it should be fine. All that is questioned is the plug.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
No, it cannot. The loco is equipped with a decoder. The plug in unit is only the loco specific sound component, not a decoder.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Burlington Route

Hmmm, I'd/we'd need some clarification here I guess- "both" the 2-4-4-2 and the 2-6-6-2 are offered in dcc while the 2-4-4-2 has an optional sound board - the 2-4-4-2 has a "sound only option" that just a plug and play...doesn't the "dcc/only 2-6-6-2" have the same plug in option...does it have a plug for adding sound as well like the 2-4-4-2 or would the 2-6-6-2 require a full on dcc/sound board swap to get sound if it didn't origonaly come with it?
Not nagging here....simply curious...and this may help others in the future....I guess were sitting here thinking both engines are, or should be, the same in the way of sound plug options... 

railtwister

Quote from: Burlington Route on January 06, 2013, 11:40:13 AM
Hmmm, I'd/we'd need some clarification here I guess- "both" the 2-4-4-2 and the 2-6-6-2 are offered in dcc while the 2-4-4-2 has an optional sound board - the 2-4-4-2 has a "sound only option" that just a plug and play...doesn't the "dcc/only 2-6-6-2" have the same plug in option...does it have a plug for adding sound as well like the 2-4-4-2 or would the 2-6-6-2 require a full on dcc/sound board swap to get sound if it didn't originally come with it?
Not nagging here....simply curious...and this may help others in the future....I guess were sitting here thinking both engines are, or should be, the same in the way of sound plug options... 

Burlington Route,

The 2-6-6-2 non-sound version comes with a standard decoder which has no plug to add the sound board, if you want to convert it to sound, you must remove the existing decoder, and replace it with a sound decoder. The 2-4-4-2 uses a different decoder that has a socket on board to accept the sound only add-on board designed to be used only on that loco.

Bill in FtL

Burlington Route

Ah- hah, thank you for that Bill....I have the CM Co 2-6-6-2 w/sound so I only have that to go by. Interesting they have a plug for the 2-4-4-2 and not the 2-6-6-2....guess it's like the Ho version diesels that have dcc on board - no plug for adding just sound on those.

railtwister

Quote from: Burlington Route on January 07, 2013, 09:30:32 AM
Ah- hah, thank you for that Bill....I have the CM Co 2-6-6-2 w/sound so I only have that to go by. Interesting they have a plug for the 2-4-4-2 and not the 2-6-6-2....guess it's like the Ho version diesels that have dcc on board - no plug for adding just sound on those.

That's because the DCC boards with the add-on socket for the sound only board are a relatively new innovation that started (?) with the Heisler, the 2-4-4-2 was the second On30 loco to have that feature. Actually, since the Heisler's release was postponed, I guess the 2-4-4-2 was the first On30 loco to be released with the add-on sound feature, but was the second  to be announced with it (nothing is simple!).

The DCC on Board and DCC-Ready locos that have the 8-pin NMRA DCC socket still give you the best variety of options: DC using the jumper plug, DCC using an 8-pin harness and Sound/DCC with an 8-pin harness.

Bill in FtL

dutchbuilder

a related question......
Does anybody have a CV list for the 2-6-6-2?
Soundtraxx seemes to have lost theirs.....OOPS!

Ton