News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann 91198 Sha G scale

Started by peterjb, January 21, 2013, 12:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterjb

I noticed three of the four gears on the trucks slip.  Not only does the engine not run well, but it also makes a rcket.  Is there any way to fix this?  Thanks, Peter J.  Bauer

BarneyJack

Hi Peter,
Are you sure you don't mean 81198?  That is the P/N for a first run, 36 ton Shay, which unfortunately can experience the symptoms you describe.  A 91198 is a 2-4-2, which wouldn't suggest itself to the same set of symptoms.  If it is the Shay, you don't have any easy/cheap fixes.  The easiest fix would be to replace your power trucks with the 88999 die cast power truck kit.  Unfortunately there not inexpensive, but they are pretty solid.  I know that there are aftermarket replacement gears, but those aren't cheap either, and you may find a crumbly can of worms as you disassemble your original trucks, unless you are really lucky.  The other thing to check is that the early Shay's had a few issues with staying at the proper wheel gauge (back to back distance between the wheels, as measured from inside edge to inside edge).  It should be close to 1.575".  There was a "washer kit" to correct that, and help support the plastic wheel bushings.  I needed to recreate mine, as the kit is no longer available, and there isn't much in the way of documentation available. :-[

Good luck,
John
Home of the Petaluma, Santa Rosa & Napa Valley Railway

Loco Bill Canelos

Peter,
Barney is right the correct number is 81198, and the replacement trucks are the best solution and the number is correct for the replacement trucks.  Trainland online says they have it for 174.00.

http://www.trainworldonline.com/search.php?byitem=88999&x=23&y=16
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!