News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Ready Spectrum 4-8-2

Started by sarg89e7, January 23, 2013, 12:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarg89e7

Just wondering if DCC ready is ready to run as is or will it need a decoder put in?

Country Joe

DCC ready is a DC engine that can have a decoder installed more easily than a DC engine that is not DCC ready. Installation can be very easy, plug and play, or it can be fairly difficult. Like any DC engine, it can be run on address 0 if your DCC system supports that option, but all DC engines on the track will respond to the same commands.

James in FL

A DCC ready lokie is ready to run on a DC powered layout.
Generally speaking, "DCC ready" means that the motor is isolated and there is some provision(s) to hook up a decoder.
To some manufacturers, just that the motor is isolated from the frame, provision(s) or not.

Good luck

Moose

Since you mention "DCC Ready Spectrum 4-8-2" ("light mountain"), the newer version of this model is wired from the locomotive to the tender and the tender has a board within it to which you can solder a small decoder. The earlier version is not wired and the tenders were not so equipped; it is "DCC ready" in the sense that Bachmann provided a space for a decoder under the boiler shell and isolated the motor as the prior posts mention. Please note that there is also a Spectrum 4-8-2 "heavy mountain" that is DCC decoder equipped. You might wan to visit the following to see a thorough right-up on these: http://www.spookshow.net/bachmann482.html

sarg89e7

Thanks to all that responded My next Madelene is how to get the tender open I have checked out the paper work and on checking out the unit there is screws to take out  and it look like it is glued together. and I have no idea on how to get where I need to go, other than a big hammer. what would you suggest :-\ 

ED209

???
For the 4-8-2, will a Bachmann EZ command 1 amp decoder be a drop in installation to make it run on DCC?  There's two decoder models listed in the Bachmann online catalog.  Part #44915 and 44926, the only difference I see is the size.  Both have the 8 pin plug, will it be drop in without soldering?   Which one would be a better fit?  Are there other decoders that you would recommend?
Thanks!

seadowns

Hi!

Those decoders are wrong, they are useless because there is no partner in the locos tender for a 8-pin-plug. I don't mention the size anyway.
What you need is a wired decoder to solder on the 7 points in the tenders pcb. This is easily done if you have a small iron tip.
You can use any small decoder rather better than the Bachmanns. I've some DZ123 and 125 in my mountains and they'r doing a fine job.

Regards
Mathi

ED209

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check into the DZ125.