News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Kadee couplers

Started by 1948ply, January 23, 2013, 02:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1948ply

Where can I find out which couplers I need to up-date some rolling stock? Thanks

jward

which older cars are you trying to upgrade? some are easier than others.

for most applications the kadee 5 shoulld work, or it's improved cousin the 148. you will most likely have to do some minor adjustments to coupler height. this assumes the car already has a body mounted coupler pocket.  for truck mounted couplers the best option is to use the coupler boxes which come with the kadees, and body mount the couplers rather than try to reuse the existing truck mounting pads.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CJCrescent

Go here;

http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/coupler.htm

On the top "toolbar" you should see "conversions" click on that. A drop down menu will come up. Choose "HO coupler conversions", and a PDF of what coupler to use on which brand of car or locomotive, will appear. Find the make of car and it will tell you which coupler to use.
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

jbrock27

I prefer the 148s bc they have 2 whiskers on either side and will therefore self center in the draft gear box.  The 5s are good too, but you have an extra piece to contend with -the metal spring clip.  To me, this makes the 148 easier to use.  Bachmann also makes couplers, less expensive but similar to the 148s.  Not as sturdy many will say, but they have worked for my uses.

If you don't have a Kadee Coupler Height Gauge #205 or #206 I would like to suggest you get one so you can make the couplers a uniform height.  This is a great tool.  I understand an NMRA track gauge could also be used, but the Kadee gauges makes it simple.  Plus it will tell you if the air hose on the coupler will clear the track.  It comes with instructions on all its uses.
The #206 is plastic, so you don't have to worry about putting it on the track with power on.  The #205 is metal.

Hope this helps you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

CJCrescent

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 26, 2013, 08:12:15 AM
I prefer the 148s bc they have 2 whiskers on either side and will therefore self center in the draft gear box.  The 5s are good too, but you have an extra piece to contend with -the metal spring clip.  To me, this makes the 148 easier to use.  Bachmann also makes couplers, less expensive but similar to the 148s.  Not as sturdy many will say, but they have worked for my uses.

Hope this helps you.

Jbrock;

On many of the entries on the charts, KD will list something like this #5, 148, MCS.
In the notes at the bottom of the page is this;
MCS = Medium Centerset Shank (NO.5®, 28, 58, 118, 119, 148 or 158 Couplers)

This means that any of those couplers could be used.
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

jbrock27

Oh I know CJ, I've been on the Kadee site. 
I'm just saying I like the 148s over over the 5s where either can be used.
Keep Calm and Carry On