News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

union pacific overland 4-8-4

Started by thumper65, January 23, 2013, 07:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumper65

i hav an opportunity to buy a union pacific overland 4-8-4. it is 2 tone grey with yellow stripes, road# 809. i do not know the bachmann part #. i was wondering about installing dcc/snd. is the loco compatible? thank you

skipgear

It can be done, certainly not a drop in install though. You will have to issolate the motor and light from the frame, run at least 4 wires, more likely 6, between the loco and tender and install the decoder in the tender. A big plus on these is to add tender pickups which is another part of the project.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

jdg051

I put a decoder in the latest run 4-8-4 (ATSF) and utilized the tender pick-up "kit" from Richmond controls.  I originally went with only the tender pick-ups for getting track power.  However, it would want to stall quite frequently.  So I tapped some holes in the loco chassis and made some additional contacts with the copper pieces from KATO loco coupler clips.  Ran the wires to the tender and it runs like a champ now.  It's actually amazing what a decoder can do to a B-man loco.