Need Help on which LED color to use for the old steemers

Started by ganerd, January 25, 2013, 01:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ganerd

I have a Spectrum, 2-8-0 HO and it is the older type with light-pipes in it and a filament bulb.
I  know I need a 3mm with proper AC/DC voltage, but I need a proper colors that would be the proper color for those old steamers.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

jonathan

Steve,

I have replaced the conventional bulb with a warm white, 3mm LED, adding a 1K resistor to the negative leg of the LED.  This is too bright for the actual prototype steam light. I just happen to like them a little brighter. 

A good alternative would be a yellow white LED and/or a larger resistor to dim the LED a bit.

Another alternative would be to paint the head of the LED with something like yellow fingernail polish, borrowed from, oh I dunno, a spouse or female friend.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

ryeguyisme

yes, you can always paint over the LED lightly for required results

rogertra

As steam locos had a 90 VDC power supply, the headlight should be a warm yellowish colour not the intense white light seen on diesels and current railfan steam engines these days as the original steam 90 VDC headlights have been replaced by sealed beam lamps.

ganerd

Thanks Roger,

So do yo have a particular part number of the right color LED that would be great?

jonathan

Here's a yellow LED running on track power:

Here's a warm white LED running on a 9V battery:

I get my LEDs from China.  Using eBay (sorry), search for 3mm LEDs.  I get them in packs of 100 for $4-$5, including shipping.  They take about 2 weeks to show up.  It's going to take me a long time to go through all my LEDs, but I'm making every efffort.  :)

Regards,

jonathan

richg

Mine was a little older era. I used a white 3mm LED which is a little yellowish with a 1k resistor. This is my Spectrum. The box light was from some older MDC/Roundhouse loco parts.

Rich

electrical whiz kid

Mouser or Demar electronics will have what you are looking for-also, take a look-see at at the water -something or other-I forgot what they are c alled; anyway, try those sources.  I havedealt with John over at Demar and have been satisfied.
I mostly use those water-looking LEDs in buildings for a more"realistic" indoor light tone and intensity.
Rich C.

Southwest Chief

Golden White seems the best to my eye for steam locomotive headlights.

The headlight and class lights on my modified Bachmann G scale connie (bashed into a K-27) #461 have 3mm Golden White LEDs.  K-28 #473 has bulbs.  Color wise they are pretty close.

I get my Golden White LEDs from UlrichModels
Matt
Click Here for photos of my train layouts