Power to both inner and outer ovals using remote crossovers

Started by eewagner, August 15, 2007, 04:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eewagner

I built a double track oval using the Bachmann Ez-Track Left and Right Remote Crossovers (44575 and 44576).  I applied DC power to only the outside track, but I also have power on the inside track.  I assume that the power is flowing through the crossovers from the outside track to the inside track.  How do I isolate the crossovers so that each track can be powered seperately, but the trains can travel over the crossovers between the two tracks and not loose power on the crossover.

SteamGene

The easiest thing to do is to buy a pack of Atlas insulating joiners from your LHS.  You will need a small pair of needle nose pliars to install them.  Avoid having small children around, as the installer is apt to utter words not suitable for small children while trying to get the track crammed into the joiners.  I've two more sets to install, to isolate Leesboro from the rest of the sub-division and I'll probably again use words I haven't used since I was a firing battery executive officer.   :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

SteamGene, I am left wondering how you separate the two turnouts of a crossover so that you can put the insulated rail joiners between them.

I suspect it might be easier to just cut gaps in the rails that cross over between the two through routes.  Either a Dremel tool or an Atlas hobby saw would do the job.  A bit of thin styrene between the rail ends would guarantee that the rails would not accidentally touch.  If the rails want to slide after you cut them, a tiny bit of ACC (crazy glue) between each rail and its ties will quickly fix the problem.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hunt

Out of the packaging, the #6 Crossover is wired to be used with DCC.

To use DC power --- the #6 Crossover modification information is near the end of the following webpage. The modification is needed if you wish to cross a train from one track to the other. http://web.mac.com/msibnsf/iWeb/Acela_Express_The_Need_For_Speed/AE%20by%20Bachmann-Modelling%20Techniques.html

Note to David Harrison,
Dave,
I just checked …The link I gave to your website, the image links are not being found, thus the photos are not displayed.

Hunt

Gene,
This is a Bachmann Crossover.

D.Harrison

Quote from: Hunt on August 15, 2007, 11:56:46 PM
Out of the packaging, the #6 Crossover is wired to be used with DCC.

To use DC power --- the #6 Crossover modification information is near the end of the following webpage. The modification is needed if you wish to cross a train from one track to the other. http://web.mac.com/msibnsf/iWeb/Acela_Express_The_Need_For_Speed/AE%20by%20Bachmann-Modelling%20Techniques.html

Note to David Harrison,
Dave,
I just checked …The link I gave to your website, the image links are not being found, thus the photos are not displayed.

Thanks, Hunt...I'm on it.

David Harrison

Roy Small