News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How About a Spectrum Level 2-6-2 'Prairie'?

Started by Len, August 15, 2007, 02:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

Enough already with those big locos! :(

They're nice, but isn't it about time for a Spectrum level 2-6-2 "Prairie" for us folks with smaller layouts? The IHC 2-6-0 "Moguls" are okay, but they just don't have that 'hauling the freight' look "Prairie's"  have.

The prototypes had a ton of them. But, without getting into brass, the only HO 'Prairie' out there any more seems to be Bachmann's 20 year old technology "lights and smokes" toy in the white box. And the 'smoker' usually ends up melting the boiler after a while. :-\

What does it take to get Bachmann interested in these smaller steamers?

Or Model Power for that matter. If Bachmann won't do a decent "Prairie" maybe MP can be convinced to bring out an updated version of the old Mantua 'Prairie'. I wish somebody would.
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

SteamGene

The Bachmann Mogul and the Prarie are nothing more than their USRA 0-6-0 with added pilot and, in the case of the Prarie, trailing truck(s) added.
Life Like holds the license for the old Mantua molds, so Bachmann isn't going to get them, I'm sure.
I agree, more small models are good. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

RAM

Id go for  a Santa Fe 1000 class or 1800 class 2-6-2.  The 1000 and 1100 class were light locomotives.  They saw service all over the system. 

Len

SteamGene

Who would have thought of a semi-streamlined Prarie?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Len

Quote from: SteamGene on August 15, 2007, 03:50:58 PM
Who would have thought of a semi-streamlined Prarie?
Gene

The 'Frisco' had class!  ;)

Len

r.cprmier

Now I am curious:
Why would they streamline a prarie?  It seems to me to be a waste of money.
I'm with you guys, though; the Bachmann "prarie' was nothing more than an 0-6-0 switcher with the name "Prarie" on the box.  Bull!!

Let's see what Life-like does, as the old Mantua moulds are thiers.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Doneldon

I'm with you on smaller locos.  I don't  care for 4-wheel pilot or trailing trucks, but give me a nice Prairie (Do you think the boys at the Frisco were smoking dope in the old days?), Mogul or Connie and I'm happy.  Some Mikes, too, though they could get pretty large.

There weren't really all that many Prairies around.  For some reason they didn't catch on.  Maybe it was the advent of super power and the rapidly growing need for big tonnage machines.

SteamGene

It was a long time between the advent of the 2-6-2 and Super Power.  My understanding is that both the 2-6-0 and the 2-6-2 were not great achievers.  Which is not to say there shouldn't be a decent model or two of them, especially for the smaller layout.
I'd say I'd buy one if they came out, but then what would I do with my five Consolidations?   ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ATSF5700BOB

Good evening all !! I am with Ram on this one. I am going to have to look in my "Iron Horses of the Santa Fe " book, to find out which  road/class number I would support. But by all means Bachman, Please make a A.T.S.F. prairie.
I would purchase three of them if the price was right.
                       Bob

Frisco_Manny

Hi Len,

Did know if you meant to actually have those engines made or if you thought they were Prarie's, but Frisco 1050 is a home built 4-6-2, and the 1060 is also a home built 4-6-4. Frisco did not own any Prarie's.

Frisco 1060 is a stream liner used in passenger service. That's why she has the skirts. Her colors were blue and silver.

Just an FYI....nice to be here.

Yes, Mr. Bachmann...it would be EXTREMELY nice to see a Spectrum Prarie roll off the lines.

Frisco_Manny

r.cprmier

I'd say I'd buy one if they came out, but then what would I do with my five Consolidations?

Gene;
Run 'em back to back, and pretend you have two and a half 2-8-8-2s.
(works on TV...)
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Atlantic Central

Gene,

A small correction if I may. Model Power, not Life Like, has the Mantua line, now called "Mantua Classics". They have already reintroduced the 2-6-6-2 logger, with and without tenders, the 0-6-0T, and Camel Back 0-6-0.

The 4-6-2 and the 4-6-2 Camel Back are expected next. Changes have been minor, but they are DCC ready with can motors like the last batch Mantua produced.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Sheldon,
You are absolutely correct.  I guess I got caught up in that Southern tradition - if you go by two names, you are related!  ::)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Len

Quote from: Frisco_Manny on August 15, 2007, 11:40:22 PM
Hi Len,

Did know if you meant to actually have those engines made or if you thought they were Prarie's, but Frisco 1050 is a home built 4-6-2, and the 1060 is also a home built 4-6-4. Frisco did not own any Prarie's.

Frisco 1060 is a stream liner used in passenger service. That's why she has the skirts. Her colors were blue and silver.

Just an FYI....nice to be here.

Yes, Mr. Bachmann...it would be EXTREMELY nice to see a Spectrum Prarie roll off the lines.

Frisco_Manny

Manny,

The 'Fallen Flags' web page labels both as 2-6-2's, which is why I included them. The pilot truck is in shadow on the pic of 1050 and behind a steam cloud on the pic of 1060, so I just went with the picture labels.

And they have the look of the 2-6-2's I remember from my youth.

Len