News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

switching my layout to DCC

Started by CAMPBELL LYNN, January 25, 2013, 03:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAMPBELL LYNN

:)Hi there.  I am relatively new to train set up and I want to switch to DCC.  I have the Bachmann DCC controller and a few DCC on board Locos, (HO).  To be honest with you, I am afraid to try it, because I do not want to get all confused...is it hard to do this switch.  I am anxious...please make me feel better....thanks in advance..seattlesue   

cwmeeks

Very straight forward, easy to do. Just remember to NOT leave your DC locomotives on the track after you switch. If you are using EZ track just unplug the DC connection and plug in the DCC controller connection. NO need to worry, if you only have DCC loco's on the track. ENJOY the ability to run more than one train at a time.
Regard

c :D

richg

Some years ago I switched. I unplugged the DC controller and plugged in the DCC controller. I had used #22 wire on the original layout and only running a max of three locos, no problem. I had an old MRC 2000 DCC controller that controlled one DC only loco.
I finally bought a NCE Power Cab and that is what I now use. It does not run DC only locos. I just unplug and plug in the DC pack which has been very rare.
I followed the instructions in the manual for both systems. Following instructions has worked for me for many years.

Rich

jward

one of the biggest differences you'll see with dcc is that the locomo0tives are much more susceptable to dirty track. keep your track clean and you'll enjoy the many benefits of dcc.  which system are you using?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CAMPBELL LYNN

Jward. thanks, so what do you mean by "which system" am I using ? 

richg

Quote from: CAMPBELL LYNN on January 25, 2013, 06:33:10 PM
Jward. thanks, so what do you mean by "which system" am I using ? 

I think He means, the Bachmann EZ Command or Bachmann Dynamis.

Rich

jward

rich is right. the two systems are significantly different. ez command is dcc lite. you can't do much programming with it. dynamis is a full featured system which allows you to fully program your decoders for speed control, lights, sounds (if your loco is so equipped) and a host of other features.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bobdelarosa1

I'm ready to go to DCC but I'm hesitant.  Would some recommend a DCC controller.  I use EZ track & will probably stay with it.  Also, is there a good DCC reference "bible" anyone would recommend, too?

Thanks!

cwmeeks

I started with a EZ command console, expanded that to a EZ command walk around, so that I could have a controller at the other end of my layout. I found that I could NOT look at CV's or program CV's with them. I then went to an NCE power cab, then to a second power cab, then expanded again to a 5 amp power supply. While this may not be typical, it was what I could afford as I went along. I came to trains late, and seem to have caught the bug good. I would suggest that you think/plan ahead before purchasing anything. Decide what you want to do, how many trains you want to run at the same time, whether "recall" is important to you, whether you will want to edit/change/look at CV's. I was very happy with my Bachmann products, I am also happy with my NCE system.
Regards
c

VidGuy069

bobdelarosa1

I use the MRC Prodigy Advance 'squared' with my EZ track.  it was/is a little higher priced than Bachmann but I've been using it for years, no issues.  My layout is all DCC and the baby handles it all.

Hope this was helpful.

VidGuy.

P.S.  I don't 'do' bibles.   ;D
Courage is being the only one who knows you're afraid.

jward

i use the digitraxx zephyr xtra. this system allows me to use my opld dc power packs as additional controllers. in effecgt i have a 3 cab dcc system for under $200. nobody else can touch that.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA