News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 lightbulb change

Started by pjf, January 25, 2013, 11:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjf

How do you change lightbulb on 4-4-0 tender, Russian Iron? First you brake off the housing. I know now why there are  extra back light and bulbs are included in the original box. Hopefully this is not the case for the front light.
Here are a few things I learned and want to share with you for future reference.
-The backlight casing is glued and can not be taken apart.
-The bulb can not measure continuity and needs to be tested with electricity.
-The bulb is very low voltage and it will burn out if it is directly connected to the rail voltage for testing.
-Finally the bulb is polarity specific, it will glow only if positive is connected to the longer stem. Cheers, pjf
Peter

lvrr325

It's not a light bulb, it's an LED, and the assembly is not seviceable so far as I know, you change the entire unit. 

But LED's last just about forever, it seems more likely some other problem would keep it from working. 

I've changed front lights just to have a different one than came out of the box; they're not hard if done with care.

pjf

Thank you for your responce. I installed a sound module. When reassembled I connected the light incorrectly. I burnedout 2 lights (LEDs) using the track voltage before I realized my misstakes and that the LED is polarity specific. pjf
Peter