News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Big Hauler adding sound

Started by New ChooChoo, January 26, 2013, 11:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New ChooChoo

Hi there all,
    I have a Bachmann Big Hauler Steamer 4-6-0 that I would like to add a decoder and sound to. I was thinking along the lines of the Digitraxx DG583S so it can handle the amps if it should go over 1.0 amp. Would there be a way to add a chuff,whistle and bell to the engine activated by the buttons on the controller. I currently have the Bachmann Dynamis system with the 5amp booster to power the train. I also have a Soundtraxx 1000 Tsunami but it is only rated at 1amp and I don't know if the engine would draw more than that and burn up the decoder. The engine is fairly new,1-2 yrs old,hardly been used. A Virginia & Truckee. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
   I talked to a hobby shop locally and they are not sure if the large scale could handle the 1amp decoder.

armorsmith

New ChooChoo,

A 1 amp decoder is a risky business on large scale.  IF your unit is a Generation 5 chassis, you might get away with that on level track with wide (10 foot diameter, 5' radius min) curves. George Schreyer has a great site for Big Hauler information and other Bachmann products, go here http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html.

I would personally not recommend less than a 5 am system, but then i don't run DCC, just a good understanding of electronics and they generally don't like being over abused.

Bob C.

Loco Bill Canelos

Totally agree with Bob's response, 1 amp decoder will be very risky.  Two amps would be better if you are pulling 10 heavy cars on level track, as the amp draw increases as soon as you pull that up a 2 or 3 percent grade.  On one layout I watched the amps go to over 10 amps pulling 35 cars up a 3.5 percent, it was a diesel though, and not a ten wheeler.

My version 5 Big Hauler pulls just under 2 amps pulling 10 cars and a caboose up my  short 3 % grade. 

As you can see a lot depends on how you plan to run your train.  If you can afford it go to 5 amps, definitely not less that two.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

New ChooChoo

As I suspected,the Soundtraxx 1amp decoder would be a bad choice. The Digitrax 5amp decoder would be better. Now that just leaves the sound part. The chuff in the tender is so so,and I would really like to upgrade it and get a better sound plus a whistle and bell. Is there a way to add a sound decoder? Do I still have to be concerned with going over the 1 amp limit? Who makes a decoder with sound  that will work in the large scale? Thanks for all the replies guys!

Kevin Strong

I don't have time to look it up right now, but there's a company that basically sells "beefed up" Tsunami decoders for O and Large scale. They're rated up to 3.5 amps. I believe, though don't quote me, that you can send them your Tsunami and they'll beef it up for you. They're on my "list" of products to investigate further. Evidently they're fairly popular in O scale circles.

Later,

K

Kevin Strong

Here's the one I first saw:
http://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?Categoryid=33&CFID=4083026&CFTOKEN=7c4fc7cc172e06ae-B95433D1-AB77-70CF-3215227C9F1BFA3F

And here's another:
http://2railoscale.blogspot.com/2012/10/new-product.html

Know also that Soundtraxx is supposed to be releasing a 4-amp version of their Tsunami as a plug-and-play for the C-19. How this compares in terms of features to their stock Tsunami, I don't know. It was supposed to be out around December, but nothing released yet that I've heard...

Later,

K

Nathan

QSI and MRC also sell Large Scale Sound Decoders.  I have used the MRC in several Large Scale Locomotives just changing out the small speaker that the unit comes with for a 3" unit.  On my Dad's one 4-6-0 we used the speaker in the Tender.

The Chuff trigger is the two wires running from the Loco to the Tender.  You should be able to use it to trigger the Chuff on the Sound Decoder.

New ChooChoo

Good morning guys!
    Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate them.
  My layout is flat, with no inclines. Running a Large Scale "G" train indoors takes up alot of room. Luckily I have a large finished basement that was being unused. I made the layout kind of a LARGE loop type. Large table at one end and the track travels from there along two of the walls to another large table at the other end and then back. Actually it is like a large "L" shape. I work on it now and then. Its not going to be anything fancy.
   I have been watching the SoundTraxx site. I see they have a couple of sections for large scale trains but I haven't seen anything develop with an offering for decoders for the large scale. I may just have to send them an inquiry as to when they will be coming out with a decoder for large scale.
    I visited the site for the beefed up SoundTraxx decoders. That looks like something promising. I will check out the MRC units as well. My train has 4-5 passenger cars and I have done some upgrading to the cars....replaced the grab handles and end railing with the blackened metal ones. I had the knuckle couplers installed but found that they tend to uncouple on some uneven track, so I went back to the other style that came with the cars. I know I can always fix the knuckle couplers so that they are permanently closed.
     I will let you know what decoder I will go with. Any other ideas, please let me know.

New ChooChoo

Good afternoon everyone,

I have been doing some investigating online. Before I spend alot of money on this sound upgrade, I think I will try some inexpensive things to see how things sound and go with the installation. I see that Digitrax offers a DH465 decoder rated at 4+amps and it also has a provision for adding a SFX064D soundbug. Reading further, I see that I can use the 8 ohm speaker that is in the tender as that should work instead of the 32 ohm tiny one that comes with the SFX064D. This should get me going as to what will work. Being indoors I dont need to blast the sound. Any thoughts? I just dont want to get an expensive unit right off the bat and destroy it.

New ChooChoo

Good afternoon,
   I was in touch with Soundtraxx. They still do not offer a large scale decoder but did recommend a solution. I can use the TSU-1000 for sound only and then use a separate decoder to run the engine. I do have a Digitraxx DG583S decoder rated at 5+ amps. That should be enough to run the engine. I'll have to sit down and take a look at all this and see if that will work.