News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 truck Climax - CV to increase speed.

Started by Limey, January 26, 2013, 09:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey

Hi folks,
              I have just received my 3 truck Climax and when I tested it on my Digitrax Zephyr on 03 for DC operation it didn't start to move until about 80 % of throttle input was engaged.
       While I realise that this little loco is no express I think it should respond sooner than that.
      Can anyone tell me what CV would increase this response and any suggestion regarding the numbers for the CV would be helpful.

Many thanks, Limey.

BTW. This is a sweet looking little loco, keep em coming Bachmann.

Doneldon

Limey-

I don't have one of these myself, so I can't answer your question, but what you're looking for should be in the technical section
of the CD you received with the model. Check for a false bottom of your box if you didn't find it when you first opened the box.

-- D

WoundedBear

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM%20pages/bachmann/ho_70ton_3truck_climax.pdf

I do own one.....and I think CV 63 and 64 are what need to be adjusted. Maybe some others here with more experience in DC operation could chime in as to what values to try.

Sid

jward

it sounds like cv2 start voltage needs to be adjusted.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WoundedBear

Quote from: jward on January 26, 2013, 06:20:05 PM
it sounds like cv2 start voltage needs to be adjusted.

I thought CV2 was the start voltage for DCC operation. The person asking needs to know about DC operation, although I fail to see why a DCC engine would need to be operated on a DCC layout under the DC mode. Does it smarten up if you put the jumpers back in? It sounds like you have some sort of decoder in there at present, what is it? Does it operate on your Zephyr's better if the decoder is removed?

CV 63 is clearly marked as "Analog Mode Motor Start Volt." To me that't the place to start, or am I missing something?

Sid

jward

on digitrax, address 00 is for analog operation. 03 is the factory default address of most decoders.

if the locomotive is being ioperated on dc, the decoder will need to be unplugged and a dummy plug inserted in the socket. true they can be operated on dc with the decoder still plugged in, but doing so will cause the locomotive to need about half throttle just to move. meaning the locomotive's speed control is only using about half the throttle arc. not good for fine speed control.

i have been unable to run a locomotive in dc mode with my zephyr if it has a decoder installed. the decoder will only respond to the programmed address, not 00. 00 is only usable by locomotives without decoders.

since the o.p. mentioned running the locomotive on address 03 and asked about adjusting cvs i can only assume that it is decoder equipped, and that the part about dc operation was a typo. from my experience it is not possible to operate a decoder equipped locomotive with the zephyr in dc mode. to do so, you'd either need to remove the decoder from the motor circuit, or use a dc power pack to run the locomotive.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA