Old Williams C628 ALCO issue

Started by stubbsO, January 27, 2013, 02:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stubbsO

Like mentioned in subject, the previous owner has done some things to it that I like and don't like. When I apply power, it starts in Neutral, pressing the direction button puts it into Reverse. I have to go throught the whole cycle to go Forward. What do I need to do to change this to start in forward as it should? Thanks

phillyreading

Have you tried reversing the motor wire plug-ins at the circuit board? That should change the starting direction of the motors or swap the shell around on the C628 Alco.

Lee F.

stubbsO

Quote from: phillyreading on January 27, 2013, 05:25:03 PM
Have you tried reversing the motor wire plug-ins at the circuit board? That should change the starting direction of the motors or swap the shell around on the C628 Alco.

Lee F.
No, and even if I do I'm sure it will start in N, I don't want that!

Hi stubbsO,

Rid yourself of all this frustration. Trainland sells a Williams by Bachmann reverser board for approx. $ 35.00. Buy a new board, put the old board in 'Attic Stock' for a rainy day. It sounds as if the past owner change some of the hard wiring on the reverser board.
                Wire in the new board ( Simple ). The new board will start the loco in forward. It will then cycle to neutral and then reverse. If you leave it un-powered for 4-7 seconds it will always revert back to forward start.

stubbsO

671- Im leanin in that direction as my thinking is the same. Just wanted to get opinions before jumpin in.

Joe Satnik

Dear StubbsO,

I can't find any on-line reference to a Williams C628.  

Are you sure this isn't an MTH model?

It acts like an MTH with conventional control (which starts in neutral) and the motor wires reversed (for back-to-back lash-ups of 2 powered units).

Are you sure it isn't an Atlas or Weaver?  Those are the only 3-Rail-O C628 models that have recently shown up on e-bay.

If you are going to run it alone, consider doing the simple fix of reversing the polarity of the motor wires to change direction.  

There may even be a direction switch hidden under some panel. (MTH?)  

Punching the "reverse" button once, instead of 3 times, should not be all that bad.

If you think its still a Williams, please post a close up photo of the reverser board.  

A neutral start mod to a Williams reverser board would be quite evident.

(See Williams FAQ section of the Bachmann Message board.)

Hope this helps.  

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: clarified "polarity" sentence.

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

3rail

Hello,

Williams never made this loco. I believe that this is a Weaver loco. People often get us confused with each other since both companies start with a W.

Regards,

3rail

stubbsO

Well I'l be a suck egg mule. Dude said it's a Williams, it's a e-bag item. I pulled the cab off and there's no markings as to the maker, but the trucks, and power pick ups sure look like Williams. Are parts interchangable?

phillyreading

I doubt that parts will interchange between Weaver and Williams.
Maybe some parts may work like the circuit boards and light bulbs, but the motors and trucks probally won't work.

Some K-Line parts might work with a Weaver but I really can't say for sure.

Lee F.