I don't know why this is happening.

Started by UncleCurtis, January 28, 2013, 11:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleCurtis

I bought and set up a Williams BL-2 diesel locomotive on my 40x80 layout of MTH Real Trax,  powered by a MTH Z-1000 controller/transformer (18 VAC, 100 watts).  The locomotive runs fine, but the headlamp barely lights at all.   If I add any type of lighted or illuminated cars I get the same result (bulbs are very dim).  If I increase the throttle significantly, the headlight brightens just a bit, but the locomotive's increased speed will send it off the track.  I don't know why this is happening. 

I thought the Williams locomotives would run properly with any standard transformer.

Hi Uncle Curtis,

What you are describing is common to the Williams by Bachmann Locomotives. The ' Can ' style motors that are used in their locos are very efficient. The only part of the motor that needs energizing with track power is the rotating part of the motor. Some call this this the Rotor others call it the Armature. Armature is the correct term because the rotating section of the motor is directly energized by brushes. Rotors are usually found in induction type motors, no direct contact with brushes to energize the rotating section. The 'field', within the motor, is created by very powerful permanent magnets.
                 Years ago Lionel used a 'universal motor' that needed the armature and the field to be powered by the track power. These are more energy consuming motors. They needed a minimum of 8-14 volts to run at a controlled speed.
                 The Williams' loco that you have has two 'Can' motors wired in parallel. Look on these postings, Joe Satnik has a description as to how to change the wiring to a 'Series' wired circuit. This will allow you to raise the transformer power to almost twice the track voltage, but still have the loco travel at a more controlled speed.
                  The result will be...Brighter lighting in the loco and passenger cars with closer to scale speed. This is a simple "FIX", you will be very pleased with the results. Cost to you will only be the short time you spend on doing this.
                   Joe Satnik will respond if you need any technical questions answered on this retrofit

phillyreading

Try dropping down to 12 volt light bulbs or even nine volt light bulbs, that should help the light bulb show up better. Radio Shack carries both light bulbs.

FYI; wiring in series Voids the Warrenty!!

Lee F.

phillyreading

Who besides Williams has metal gears?

I have had a couple of Lionel enginess die because of having plastic gears. With Lionel you have to watch how many cars you add and are they modern era or postwar, as the weight is a factor with postwar cars. Also with Lionel; did you get a one or two motor unit in your engine? A GP-7 I bought about ten years ago from Lionel only had one motor and would pull only four quad hoppers, needless to say it went to ebay!

At least with Williams if you overload an engine it will whine but not strip gears!

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

TrainmanGene

I picked up a WWB F7 with a broken shell reversed the wires and added my Pennsy dummy unit shell and they easily pull a 12 car passenger train of 60 foot Railking streamline passenger cars plus the dummy B unit.
Sueme Valley System