News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

larger transformer

Started by CAMPBELL LYNN, January 28, 2013, 07:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAMPBELL LYNN

Howdy, I have a regular HO train set with the transformer that came with the set.  Would my train run "faster" with a more powerful transformer ?

jward

with a standard dc train like those in N and HO scales, speed is controlled by voltage. 12v is the usual maximum voltage for those scales, higher voltages could damage the motor. what most in the hobby understand as a more powerful "transformer" or "power pack"  are the packs with a higher amperage output. the voltage remains at 12v max, but the power (expressed in volt-amps or va) means you can run more locomotives or accessoreis at the same time. the top speed does not change with the increase in va.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CAMPBELL LYNN

Thanks, I am relatively new to Model Trains, and I am just full of questions....I do not want to spend money unwisely... and good one.....no, not like a slot car, just   tad bit faster so my cat can chase it on my layout...and I am not kidding :)

Doneldon

Campbell-

Welcome to model railroading and this board. I can promise you that this hobby will give
you so many options about what to do that you're certain to find parts of it you'll enjoy.
Starting out can be a little discouraging but you'll catch on soon enough. We're all learning
new thing all of the time on here so you'll have good company climbing the learning curve.

Just a technical comment: HO trains use 12 v DC (or DCC which is a different flavor) from a
power pack. The old Lionel O-scale trains use a transformer.

-- D

jbrock27

Campbell,

Just an FYI-On my Railpower 1300 box it states "Model Train Powerpack" and on the unit itself, it states "Hobby Transformer".  This is made by MRC to this day and is listed as having 7A (amps) which as previously noted, helps with running more than 1 loco at a time on the same track.

This and other MRC powerpacks/transformers can be found on AMAZON, EBay and at train shows and hobby shops.  I saw this particular one at a huge train show this Sunday for $39.99 in the box, new.  They can also be found  listed as "new" on EBay or used.  They last a long time and are pretty reliable, so going used should not be too much of a gamble.  I say that tongue in cheek bc I always feel some element of gambling is involved when buying on EBay.  Mostly dependent on the honesty, integrity and knowledge of the seller.

Hope this helps.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

Welcome to the hobby  :)

Getting a better power pack has other advantages.  For example most train set power packs have a limited arc of motion say 180 degrees vs 270 degrees, so a larger power pack will allow more precise control of speed.

One thing most Model Railroaders at least that I know are more concerned with slow speed operations because our protoypes operate at mostly moderate speeds.  So unless you are modeling Acela or the bullet train top speed is not that much of a concern.