Installing decoder in Bachmann analog HO demonstrator GP30

Started by steveeusd, January 29, 2013, 03:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveeusd

Hello--

What would it take to install a decoder in a HO Bachmann analog EMD demonstrator GP30? 
I don't want to hard-wire it and prefer not to substitute a DCC on-board chassis.

Thanks

Steve W.

bapguy

Is this a split frame type? Do you want DCC only or sound?  Joe

richg

Quote from: steveeusd on January 29, 2013, 03:08:55 PM
Hello--

What would it take to install a decoder in a HO Bachmann analog EMD demonstrator GP30? 
I don't want to hard-wire it and prefer not to substitute a DCC on-board chassis.

Thanks

Steve W.

If you cannot do either of those two options, then buy a GP30 with DCC decoder on board. The diagram shows a PC board which ties everything together. Lights, pickups, motor.

Rich

jward

steve,

you will ahve to hard wire a decoder in your gp30 if you wish to install one yourself. the good news is that it's not that difficult of an install, and jim banner has posted a tutorial on how to do it here:

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html

note that the h16-44 in the photos is basically the same drive as the gp30, with minor differences. similar drives are also in the gp35, sd45 and ge dash 8s.

ihave foloowed these instructions for gp30s, gp35s and an sd45 and they work well.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

quartermiler660

i'm wanting to install the generic tsunami 1000 sound decoder in a Bachmann GP30 I purchased about a year ago.  The one I got was the DCC equipped model. (HO)  Too bad it isn't prewired for the 8 or 9 pin plug.  The sound board is nearly half the size of the original decoder, so the install appears to be interesting, at the very least.  Have any of you done this conversion yet?  I'm really curious about how to mount the LED's.

richg

Quote from: quartermiler660 on December 17, 2013, 10:46:08 AM
i'm wanting to install the generic tsunami 1000 sound decoder in a Bachmann GP30 I purchased about a year ago.  The one I got was the DCC equipped model. (HO)  Too bad it isn't prewired for the 8 or 9 pin plug.  The sound board is nearly half the size of the original decoder, so the install appears to be interesting, at the very least.  Have any of you done this conversion yet?  I'm really curious about how to mount the LED's.

It is not plug and play. Look at the below link.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/6403

People must realize the reason for no socket is that this loco design has evolved from the DC line. Lots of frame weight. Not much room.

Rich