News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO F7A & F7B

Started by wb2002, January 30, 2013, 04:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wb2002

Looking for 2 ea. of F7A & F7B Union Pacific locomotives. I want all units powered. I use to have Bachmann units I used (about a month) 14 years ago but then put the hobby on hold until a month ago.  I tried the Bachmann's but they have problems - the trucks seems clogged or something. I want to replace the Bachmanns. I will use the decoders I have in them.

Any suggestions on some decent units?

Thanks

wb2002

bapguy

Before throwing the Bachmann units out, take them apart and clean the trucks. Soak them in a cleaner like Simple Green or any thing that is plastic safe. The grease from the factory probably hardened over time. Cleaning and re lubeing the trucks might bring them back to life.   Joe

wb2002

Thanks Joe. That sounds encouraging. What is a good lubricant for trucks?

wb2002

bapguy

I use Labelle plastic compatable oil. Bachmann makes oil as well. Part # 99984 would be another choice.  Joe

jbrock27

If we are talking about lubing the axle gears in the trucks, I like to use a little Super Reel Grease.  (Yes for fishing reels).  It has PTFE and contains no petroleum products.  My research tells me that PTFE (Teflon) is safe on delrin and other plastics but petroleum products are not.  Just a little dab where the gears meet is enough for it to be distributed evenly among the gear teeth when run.  It is very inexpensive stuff.  I found it at a KMART fishing section and it cost a buck something for a half ounce. Some folks like to use oil for the gears, but I like to save the use of oil for metal drive parts .  Plus I think the grease stays in the gears, including worm gears, better than oil. 

Hope this helps :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

bapguy

Thanks for the info. I will have to try it out. Learned something new.  Joe

jbrock27

You're welcome Joe.  I am glad to offer some info.  I have read on other train boards, of someone using Vaseline, which is a petroleum product-which is, from what I read, a no no for use on plastic.
Keep Calm and Carry On

wb2002

Thanks again. Before, I was using 2 F7A's and 2 F7B's in consists and it worked well. Since I return to the hobby, none of the units ran well hence, I considered replacements. I considered your suggestion concerning maintenance on the trucks but found new F7A units on ebay for about $22.00 ea. I purchased 1 and discovered I could use the new trucks on the old unit with the old motor/flywheel arrangement. The new F7A's did not have flywheels and chassis was not heavy as the old unit. I could also use the old shell. I have since ordered and receive 3 more units that I will convert. I am thinking this is a better alternative than purchasing totally new expensive units since I am now retired and have more time on my hands than money.

Thanks for all suggestions and help

wb2002

jbrock27

wb,

I found the same thing as you in terms of the new Bachmann models not having flywheels and being much lighter than older models.  Disappointed in finding this out.
Keep Calm and Carry On