News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

led?

Started by union pacific 844, February 01, 2013, 06:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 844

where can i get leds with resistors together with wire on them?

Doneldon

844-

They're all over the place on line, on eBay, at your LHS or at Radio Shack. Talking Electronics in Australia has them at fair prices with
LOTS of good information and excellent, quick delivery. You can also try to find some close-out white holiday lights and get some
resistors from the above-listed resources.

-- D

union pacific 844

i can't solder with out burning the house down

sd24b

Quote from: union pacific 844 on February 02, 2013, 12:53:06 AM

well, this is a great time to learn.  15/30 watt soldering iron is safe unless you don't grab the handle.  get some rosin core solder tip cleaner, and flux.  practice on scrap pieces of wire.  don't think there has been anyone born who knew how to solder. 

Doneldon

Quote from: union pacific 844 on February 02, 2013, 12:53:06 AM

844-

If I may be so bold as to stick my big fat nose into your psyche (and I don't even get paid for that any more), I think you are letting some model projects intimidate you and as a consequence you are denying yourself the opportunity to explore some really fun parts of our hobby. I've noticed many threads on this board where you have indicated some worry about painting, or decaling, or soldering or taking a loco apart or installing a decoder or, well, a number of things. Are some of them a little difficult at first? Sure. Does that mean you can't learn how to do them? No way.

Please be aware that I'm not being critical here, just commenting on what I've noticed and, more importantly, have felt myself. Am I nervous the first time I turn the power on for a new section of track? Yes, absolutely. But I turn it on anyway and it feels great when it works. And if it doesn't work? Then I get to learn that I can diagnose my error and correct it. Was soldering together my first brass locomotive kit scary? You bet, but I'm more proud of that model than of the R-T-R brass and plastic locos that are more perfectly built. Am I still a bit worried about building a resin kit since I have never done that before? Oh, yes. But I purchased one and plan to start it as soon as a couple of household projects are completed. I might botch the job. It certainly wouldn't be the first time! But I'll eventually get it right and then I can enjoy the thrill of victory. So ... I understand where you're coming from. I've been there and I'll be there again. The key, though, is to jump in.

Very few of us came to this hobby with all of the skills we need to be successful with it. Some of us probably had a few of the skills, like a little basic carpentry or wiring, but I'd wager that few of us had soldered or used an air brush before. Speaking for myself, and I'll bet many other MRs, the satisfaction of learning a new skill and then using that skill to produce something of which we are truly proud is hugely rewarding. Sure it's daunting when there are so many new things to learn, but try to see that as an opportunity to demonstrate to yourself that you can learn these things and can enjoy the success in that. Just think about it. Many, many thousands of other normal people just like you and I have learned to do these things. Is it really possible that you can't? In a word, NO. You can do this stuff and do it well if you just give yourself an opportunity to have a go at it.

As a bonus, just think of all of the new trains and tools you can buy with all the money you'll save by not paying others to do these things. End of couch and soapbox session. It's time to go annoy my wife about something. (I've taught myself how to do that, too, even though she's a very easy going person.)

-- D

jward

eventually you're going to have to learn how to do things like this for yourself. model railroading has never been a plug n play hobby. to get good results requires some skill and effort. the only way to get the skills needed is to do.....

as far as leds are concerned. soldering resistors to them is easy. the only precauiton ni take is to use a heat sink when soldering the leads. this can be as simple as an alligator clip from a test lead clamped between the solder joint and the led body.

resistors needed can be calculated by using ohms law: voltage = resistance X current (amps)

in the case of leds, 1000 ohms for operation on 12v is a good place to start. if they are too dim lower the resistance.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Desertdweller

I just want to encourage you to take Doneldon's and jward's advice.  Model railroading is not a "plug and play" hobby.  This is a holdover from its craftsmen roots: a cheap, depression-era hobby that depended on home workshop skills with low-cost raw materials.

While it is possible these days to build a model railroad using "plug and play" components, the result would be cost-prohibitive for most hobbyists.  Worse, the results would lack originality, and would be, in effect, a collection of off the shelf parts.

One of the great sources of satisfaction for most model railroaders is the opportunity for creativity.  If you want to experience this, you will have to be willing to learn at least basic skills like soldering, painting, and fabrication using raw materials.

It isn't that difficult.  You don't have to risk expensive models.  You can teach yourself how to do the basic soldering that model railroad wiring requires for about $20.  Get yourself a soldering iron of about 30 watts, a wire stand for it (often sold packaged with the iron), and a small coil of rosin-core solder.  Find some light copper wire, strip the insulation, and practice soldering the ends together.

Painting does not require an airbrush, although these do not have to be expensive.  You can learn to paint by practicing on scrap objects, or you can do the same thing with spray cans.  Lacking even that, you can learn to do a good paint job with brushes for about $10 worth of supplies.

Scratchbuilding requires fabrication from metal or plastic stock.  While that may seem intimidating, you do not have to scratchbuild a complete model.  Try scratchbuilding details using plastic shapes (sheet plastic, scrap plastic, plastic sprues leftover from kits).  A scratchbuilt model is just like building a kit, only you first have to build all the parts, one at a time.  A "craftsmen kit" is a lot like scratchbuilding, except all the materials and plans are included in the box.  I'll never forget the first one I built: it was a grain elevator.  I was used to building plastic models from injection-molded parts.  I opened the box, and inside were some wooden strips and sheets of corrugated metal siding!  But I just took my time, followed the instructions, measured carefully before making cuts, and it turned out just fine.  It was very satisfying.

So be patient, have confidence in yourself, and don't be afraid to try new experiences.  Realize you will make mistakes learning.  I am sure you could learn to solder, paint, and scratchbuild for no more than $40-50.  Maybe half the cost of many locomotives.

Les