News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Scale?

Started by doghouse_thumper, January 29, 2013, 06:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doghouse_thumper

Hello everybody!  I've recently acquired some Bachmann large-scale equipment.  I must admit, I don't need my 25-power glasses to work on it like I do my N scale!

I apologize if this has been covered before, or if it's too much of a newbie question, but I would like to know what scale this stuff is.  I see on this website it's called 'Large Scale'.  I've also seen it described as: 'G'; 1/20.3; and 1/22.5

Right off I need some new wheels and couplers.  Do Bachmann replacement metal wheels fit all of the rolling stock?

Thank you for your help!

- Malcolm

Chuck N

What did you get. It could be either.  Is it Big Hauler 1:22.5/24, or the Spectrum line (1:20.3)?  We cannot help unless you tell us what you have.  If you have not a clue, the wheel arrangement of the engine (s) would help.  4-6-0s are big haulers, 2-8-0, 2-8-2, geared logging locos (Shay, climax, Heisler) are Spectrum.  The more information you give us the more we can help.  We, at least me, are not mind readers.

Chuck

armorsmith

Malcolm,

To answer the wheel question, sometimes.  I say that due to an issue I ran across replacing the plastic wheels on what I believe is an older Bachman Kit combine.  The standard 31mm Bachmann replacement metal wheels will not clear the molded brake shoes on the truck side frame. If, like me that is not a huge issue, do as I did and cut the brake shoes off.  On freight equipment I have had no issues replacing plastic wheels with metal ones.  Just as a side note, I have replaced plastic wheels on my LGB, Aristo Craft and USA trains rolling stock with Bachmann wheels with out issue.  Lionel rolling stock is not as conversion friendly, I usually just replace the truck it is easier.  Grease all journals with a plastic friendly grease.  I use a Lithium grease found in any auto parts store, just make sure it states on the package that it is plastic friendly.

Couplers are a bit of a conundrum.  I have found that Big Hauler couplers will mate reliably with Spectrum couplers, PROVIDED they are at the same height.  Most Big Hauler rolling stock has the couplers mounted in the truck to allow tight curvature.  Most Spectrum stuff is body mounted, making the coupler higher than the Big Hauler and requiring larger curves.  Bachmann has recently come out with a body mount coupler for the Big Hauler equipment which I have just received a couple for testing a couple of days ago and testing has not begun.  Reliability sides with the Spectrum couplers.  I have experience NO arbitrary uncoupling with the Spectrum couplers, a claim I can not make for the Big Hauler couplers.

As Chuck mentioned, the more information you can provide on what you have purchased, the more assistance we can be.  As I have, I am sure that others will also chime in with their collective opinions and experiences.

Bob C.

Loco Bill Canelos

There are two sizes of Bachamnn metal wheels,  31mm and 28? mm, you will need the larger ones for most applications . Replacement wheel installation is very easy.

Malcolm,
I find I have no problem with standard Bachmann knuckle couplers as long as I paint them with a spray rattle can, I use the red primer which looks like rust, seems to give then better bite, and they look better as well. 

I use USA Trains couplers as well, and find they mate just fine with Bachmann knuckle couplers. As nice as Aristo Craft couplers are they just do not mate with either Bachmann or USA Trains couplers without modification to the Aristo couplers.

As for scale use the search feature and you should find lots of discussion an the different scales which encompass Large Scale.  If you are a steam fanatic, Bachmann has a great lineup of goodies for you!!!

Enjoy Large Scale!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

armorsmith

@Bill - the other size is 24.5mm, which are great for doing logging/mining rolling stock, and some narrow gauge as well if you are trying to match scale relatively accurately.

I agree that Aristo Craft Couplers do not play well with much of anything other than Aristo Craft.  I have a pretty good fleet of Aristo rolling stock and have changed all the couplers (truck mounted) over to Bachmann, partly for cost reasons and partly because they pay better with others.  The trick I found with reliability of the Big Hauler couplers is to dis-assembly them and remove ALL FLASH from the drop pin.  That has increased reliability considerably.  The second trick I have found that works is if you have a particular coupler in a consist that arbitrarily uncouples, couple the cars and with the cars pushed together push down on the pin to make sure it is fully in proper position.

Bob C.