News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Balky S4

Started by edpb, January 28, 2013, 05:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edpb

I have a small layout almost 4x8 powered by a MRC Tech 6 Sound Controller 2.  My Bachmann 2-6-0 DCC Sound OnBoard runs over all of the layout without any hesitation anywhere, and my Bachmann Erie S4 DCC SoundValue OnBoard also runs over all with no hesitation.  My P&LE S4, just arrived today, stalls out at about a dozen places on the layout, but not always at each place, and after a few runs over the whole layout I know where stalls may occur, and those places do not change.  The entire layout is made of sectional track.  Some stalls occur at frogs, but most occur on continuous, although sectional, track, connected only with rail joiners, no soldering.  There is one pair of feeder wires to supply the layout.

Part of the layout is a loop with one turnout for entering/leaving the switching tracks.  On the loop the P&LE will stall, then start up gain with no help, and a few inches or a few feet farther it will stall and maybe start up again.  I'm really puzzled that there can apparently be dead places in the track that are still able to feed the next track sections.

Is it not surprising that two locos have never stalled while a third stalls all the time?  Was I just very lucky with the first two, and I should really have a lot more feeders?  The layout is portable, built on three Homasote sheets joined together, sitting on the floor, and working on it is fairly easy.

Ed Berners in South Bend, IN

bobwrgt

Look at the back of each wheel for the little electrical wipers  that hits each wheel back for current. If you slide the wheel side to side the contact should still hit the wheel all the time. If they don't you will have to bend them so they always touch the wheels.

Bob

edpb

Hunt and Bob, thanks for the suggestions.  Two wipers are not touching the wheels, one on each truck, both on the same side.  Now I will try to find out how to get at them so I can bend them a little.  With a toothpick I can move one so it lies flat against the wheel from axle to flange, but it does not take a permanent set -- it just springs back.

I'm studying the exploded view to see if I can remove an axle assembly.

I will also do the cleaning -- I just received my new Woodland Scenics wheel cleaner.

Ed

edpb

Another thought -- maybe Bachmann will fix it, as one wiper has no bend at all.  It was never bent during manufacture.

Ed

bobwrgt

Look at the diagram for the trucks. The bottom cover clips off so you can get to the wipers and wheels.
Or you can use 2 toothpicks. Use one to hold the wiper close to the inside frame and use the other to bend the end out to the wheel.
Should save you from sending to Bachmann.

Bob

edpb

Thanks, Bob -- it was the wipers.  I looked for a way to get the cover off, and I think it hooks over bumps on the ends, and I could get a screwdriver blade in there but it was hard to pry in the right direction.  So, on to the toothpicks.  It took a while to learn how that works, but I got one wiper bent ok, then overdid the next bend but was able to straighten it out and do it better.  What a great tip you gave me -- I don't know when if ever I would have thought of using two.  Now the S4 runs the whole layout, even at speed 001.  Thank you again -- I'm happy now.

Ed