News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G-scale sound from Bachmann

Started by Alex-s-1, January 31, 2013, 06:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

ACEguy,

If your 4-4-0 has pickups on the tender wheels a Phoenix sound board is not all that difficult to install.  As yardmaster says it is not as simple as some of the newer locomotives. There are six wires Run two wires from the tender pickups to power the board and sound battery. two wires  go to the chuff sensor or sound inputs and two others go to the speaker. Install magnets on the wheels for chuff sensing or just use the auto sound feature which produces the chuff and other sounds as speed changes.   Phoenix provides complete instructions and has a warranty that is amazing and covers you if you blow up the board yourself.  They also have live help from a professional if you have questions.  

If you carefully follow the instructions you will be OK  I believe the one you will need for analog is the PB-11  This is the site Link http://www.phoenixsound.com/about/about.html   look under products.

If you are not sure what to buy just call the guys there and they will be glad to help.  

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Loco Bill Canelos

Looks like I posted at the same time as Stan, I am sure you can do the install!!

ACEGuy

Thanks Guys,

I really appreciate your information.  I hadn't planned to spend so much money on this thing that is suspended through our store but, you know how that goes!  Dallee Electronics makes a board that works in a similar fashion which I have decided to try.  It is over $150 cheaper and looks to be pretty easy to install.  I will let you all know how this goes.

Thanks again for all the input,

Bob

M1FredQ

Hi

I just found this thread.

Will the Bachmann sound system you are talking about fit and work in that G=Scale USA GP-38 I have??????

Thanks

Bucksco

It is a steam sound unit. It might not sound very good in a GP-38  ;)

Kevin Strong

Quote from: Yardmaster on May 21, 2013, 09:19:33 AM
It is a steam sound unit. It might not sound very good in a GP-38  ;)
Quite the contrary. How else would you make a diesel sound good?  ;D

FYI; I talked to Soundtraxx last week about the C-19 board. They're making some revisions, but hope to have it available fairly soon.

Later,

K

Bucksco

Our Demo sample will be on display at the National Garden Railway Convention in June.

M1FredQ

I do have a Bachmann Large scale steamer I bought with a set for using at Christmas time which got me into Large Scale too. Can I install that system you are mentioning
into the tender??
I did find a local Garden Railroad Club not very far from where I live and a couple of the guys said they would help with installation of sound systems but I need more information to help them.

Kevin Strong

Yes and no. The Tsunami board is a DCC board, so it's ideally suited for those who run DCC. It's also compatible with Airwire's G2 and G3 boards (as well as their just announced "Convertr" board, though with a 2.3 amp capacity, the C-19 might push the limits of its current capacities. (The G2 board has a 3-amp capacity, would be sufficient to drive the C-19 off of the Tsunami's motor drive.)

Having said that, it's a DCC decoder that's designed to also work on "traditional" Analog DC. So--like the DCC-equipped Climax and Shays--you could install this board and run it on regular track power. You'd get bells and whistles automatically as programmed by default on the board. (Don't ask me what those are, I haven't a clue.)

In the 4-6-0 like what's in the starter sets, you'd have to do a re-wire of the locomotive to install the decoder. It's not difficult--the 4-6-0 isn't exactly a complex locomotive, but I'd probably recommend something like the Phoenix PB11. Yeah, it's about twice the price, but it's designed specifically for track-powered installations, and has magnetic triggers for bells and whistles in addition to automatic functions.

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi M1FredQ
See my first post, I agree totally with Kevin that the PB11 is the easiest way to go.  If your set locomotive has a rear headlight you can tap into that circuit in the tender or you can install electrical pickups on the tender wheels.  you can use the existing chuff sensor wires in the tender and the existing speaker in the tender.  If you don't know how to solder, you can use mini wire nuts to make the connections.

I had the same fears you have many years ago when I installed my first sound system.   It took way longer to do it that first time,  don't be afraid to try it, just be patient and go step by step. 

Bill

M1FredQ

Thanks for the info. I will attempt it as one of my Summer projects I hope you and Kevin don't mind if I ask a lot of questions.

I used to never try to do anything with these trains but when my son was given some old ones I experimented and lost that anxiety about messing something up.

I am truly grateful there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on these train forums!!!