News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbie Track Question

Started by juhrich, January 23, 2013, 04:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juhrich

Mike, Thanks!  I have the Atlas track pack that was suggested for my layout.

Mike C

OK, I had to go back to see what you were building.  :-[ The Secenic Ridge layout should build into a nice running layout. Just stay with the shorter stuff and you will be fine.  ( Those 93/4 curves are sharp!)  Also look over the Spookshow site , he also built one of these layouts, and has a fairly extensive blog about it......Mike

James in FL

How many cars depend on how many that 2-6-0 can pull up that 4% grade.
I don't own the 2-6-0 so I don't know what it is capable of.
The brand of rolling stock is not important other than cosmetically to your eye (level of detail).
What's more important is how free the wheel sets roll and the type of couplers you choose.

Most every turnout I've ever met required some fine tuning no matter the manufacturer.

This hobby requires some tinkering.
To me, that's where it is most enjoyable.

Considering you're working with the Scenic Ridge and a 2-6-0, was it me, I'd probably choose mostly 40ft. cars.
You may have to consider clearance issues with that 9¾r.

But... It's your pike; choose whatever you like, contrary to what others might believe, there are no rules.
Run what you like... behind whatever you like.
If you fancy a 2-6-0 pulling well cars and enclosed auto-racks, do it.
You only have to please yourself.

Good luck

juhrich

Ok, I will stick with 40 ft or less and whatever is pretty, lol.  I would love some pink cars but I think that is a daunting find. :) My new engine gets here tomorrow and I will let you know how it runs.   The kit building has been a lot of fun.  I am turning it in to a winter village scene and it has been very enjoyable doing all the research and watching videos.  If I can get my train to run without excessive trouble, I will be hooked on this hobby for life.

Mike C

skipgear

Quote from: Mike C on January 31, 2013, 06:27:19 PM
Pink covered hopper     http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/cco/cco15124.htm
Heres one   LOl.....Mike

That is certainly not a 40' car though. It is is more like 50'. There is a whole series of more modern cars from a grain coop in Iowa that painted their hoppers pink so they could find them easier in the yards when the grain harvest was over and they wanted their cars back.

Pink in steam era would be very rare. Really the only brightly colored steam era equipment would be billboard ice reefers. Everything else got sooty and dirty to fast. The reefers had to be kept clean as they were in food service. Atlas, Intermountain and Microtrains all make various cars that fit the bill.

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

juhrich

Lol Mike, that is perfect, i have to get it. Tony,  you'd probably cringe at the authenticity of my current car menagerie.  Its pretty much based on pretty color combinations.  I am learning every day though about what goes with what  :).  As for an update, I got the 2-6-0 today and it is running round and round like a little charm.  It only pulls 4 cars with my sharp curves and steep climb, but I am happy as can be for my first project.  Huge thanks to everyone for all your guidance.  Now its on to the scenery.