News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G scale shelf layout

Started by CNMRR, August 15, 2007, 11:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNMRR

I am new to G scale and would like to build a shelf layout in my family room.  This layout would have to be up high on the wall.  The size of the room is 14' by 45'.  I have read several of the topics on the message board and still have questions.
          What is the minimum distance from the ceiling needed?
          What is the minimum width of the shelf needed for a double line?
          What is the minimum radius I can use?  I have a 4-4-0 American now
                   and would like to get a 4-6-0 Pacific, 2-6-0 Mogul or 2-8-2         
                   Mikado if the minimum radius needed is not to large.
Thanks for your help.

Mark Oles

OK,

Based on the locomotives you've mentioned, I'd recommend:

8' diameter minimum curves for inner loop, 10' outer
1' from ceiling.
Double line: I don't know..

Mark

japasha

I have a shelf layout in my train room so I can operate during bad weather. I use LGB #16000 curved track for my single track line.

I built the shelf from shelving planks from Home Depot mounted on wooden shelf supports attached to each stud in the wall. You could easily go every other stud but you will need a stringer to prevent sagging. The shelf material I used was eight incehs. You will need to use the twelve inch planks. For the corner I used plywood sections made to mate with the plankes . You cpuld curve these if you like but you will need a central support. I did a 14' x 24' room for just under $200.

I would space my track on the stright on a six inch center.

Paul W.

I wanted to get creative with our overhead layout. I used strips of 3/4 x5/4 lumber to make up a ladder type system. I started with the two outside boards, then added the "ladder steps" in between. I used allthread going up through the support into the ceiling and attached with wood anchors. This system took longer to build, but it is quieter than a solid plank board, and when you stand underneath, you can watch the underside of the cars while they pass overhead. I have still added scenery, a tunnel, bridges and some building fronts.
I built the ladders in 6' sections to make it easier to hang.

Good luck!
Happy Steamin'

Paul

CNMRR

How far apart are your ladder steps and how wide is your shelf.  This sounds like something I may be interested in.  My son had thoughts of using two out side stringers with plexiglass between them so you could watch from underneath.  We found this was going to be very expensive.  Thanks for the idea.

Paul W.

The steps are 4" apart, with the 3/4" part of the strip facing the track. As for the width, that varies. The one side it's 12" wide, we have two tracks running, so that's wide enough for two trains to pass. The other side is wider as I put in a siding for a third train to sit on. It has insulators so it's not hot when the trains are running.  As for the corners, I just took the distance from the inner track to the wall corner and made it to fit. On one of these corners I have made a tunnel, and from underneath the train lights look really cool at night going through.
Happy Steamin'

Paul