News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ez track figure 8 layout

Started by Herbiethomas, February 04, 2013, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herbiethomas

Hi my son needs help building a figure 8 track. He is 7 and I am trying to help him but it's not working for some reason. We have a 30 degree crossing and 21 pieces of 18 inch curved radius track and 1 retailer. He is playing with Thomas trains. Do we need 2 controllers? We noticed the trains will run on one loop or the other but will not cross over. Please help! He is so disappointed we have been trouble shooting on our own for hours but it's not working. Thanks.

jward

when the train stops where does it stop? is it always at the same section of track?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Dear Herbiethomas,

Either Thomas has faulty electrical pickups (wipers) on the back of his wheels,

or the crossing has (electrically) dead diamond rails.
\ \/ /
\/\/
/\/\
/ /\ \

One quick way to check the pickups is to briefly touch a 9 volt battery to each of the

three sets of wheels, which should cause the motor and the wheels to spin.   

Do the 9V battery test and let us know how the wheel pickups do.

A 12 volt test light with 2 leads or alligator clips would help troubleshoot the diamond.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter, or a Multimeter?

Harbor Freight sells them for a very reasonable price,

and when on sale or with coupon, an extremely reasonable price.

Every model railroad enthusiast should own one. 

A Multimeter would tell you more than the 9V battery and test lamp....

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik     
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Herbiethomas

I think we are out of or league- I called the hobby shop where we got it and they are going to help us. THe trains just won't cross the center piece but we are mixing old and new tracks so maybe there is some other problem. I will look into investing into the battery test. Thank you for the replies.