News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Is converting this loco to DCC feasible?

Started by skooksteve, February 02, 2013, 06:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skooksteve

Quote from: richg on February 03, 2013, 03:34:10 PM
Quote from: skooksteve on February 03, 2013, 03:32:16 PM
Quote from: richg on February 03, 2013, 03:06:24 PM
Ok, I finally figured out you are talking about the 0-6-0T. My mistake.
Some here have asked about the 0-6-0 with the tender and smoke.
Remove the front screw and carefully lift off the shell. I have done it. Follow the instructions on the diagram that come with the loco.
Solder the wires to the tabs. A oood quality tiny decoder for this loco will cost about $20.00. I like the DZ125 decoder.

Rich

Actually, mine is the one with tender and smoke. Thanks for the heads up on the decoder.

Oh boy. Try to be more specific in the future with a question. I deleted all what I thought was unnecessary info.

Rich

I was as specific as I could be given my limited body of knowledge in this hobby. I started this hobby a little over a year ago as a retirement activity. I had no background in mrr whatsoever prior to that. So I guess you could say I don't know what I don't know. Thanks for your help.
Steve from Corvallis, Oregon

richg

Ok, that tells me more. Below are couple good links about many aspects of DCC and DCC with sound. Realize also, when you buy DCC on board versus DCC you install yourself, some things are different. On board many times will not have all the operating features or sounds as decoders you install yourself.
Bachmann does not sell sound decoders right now. They do sell a couple sound modules which are not decoders.

This fellow use to own an online DCC supplier I have bought from. There are many good links at the below link.
http://www.mrdccu.com/

The below fellow is in Australia but uses a lot of USA DCC stuff.
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn/index.htm

Tony's Trains I have bought from and see at a local trains show.
http://www.tonystrains.com/

This fellow use to be active here. A little dated but still useful.
http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/2-8-0/index.html

DCC is evolving quite rapidly.
Store all links in Favorites. You will need them. I have over four hundred links on DCC and trains alone.

Rich

jonathan

Just saw this thread.  I've been at Train show heaven in Timonium.

Just as an aside, I got a few of my DCC 0-6-0s at auction (ebay) from The Favorite Spot.  That is MUCH cheaper than trying to install a decoder than a DC version.  Sad but true.

Have pondered some kind of small sound only decoder to intall in a slope back tender, but haven't tried it yet.

Regards,

Jonatthan

richg

Quote from: jonathan on February 03, 2013, 05:05:13 PM
Just saw this thread.  I've been at Train show heaven in Timonium.

Just as an aside, I got a few of my DCC 0-6-0s at auction (ebay) from The Favorite Spot.  That is MUCH cheaper than trying to install a decoder than a DC version.  Sad but true.

Have pondered some kind of small sound only decoder to intall in a slope back tender, but haven't tried it yet.

Regards,

Jonatthan

A Digitrax DZ125 or a TCS N scale decoder would work but not sound. They are slightly larger than a dime. A couple here prefer the TCS although I have used the DZ125 with a Pancake motor Bachmann. There are plates in the tender for weight. and you would need all wheel pickups for decent operation.

Rich

jward

since we are talking about adding tender pickups to a short wheelbase locomotive this seems an appropriate pl,ace to ask a question i've had.

does anybody here have experience with tcs decoders, specifically the ones with keep alive? from what i've read on their web site, keep alive appears to be a sort of battery power for dcc. it allows a locomotive to run over dirty track for 5 or more seconds without interruption of power.

in theory this would allow short wheelbase locos like the 0-6-0 or thomas or percy to negotiate switches with insulated frogs, without stalling. can anybody tell me how well this works in real life?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Quote from: jward on February 03, 2013, 06:11:45 PM
since we are talking about adding tender pickups to a short wheelbase locomotive this seems an appropriate pl,ace to ask a question i've had.

does anybody here have experience with tcs decoders, specifically the ones with keep alive? from what i've read on their web site, keep alive appears to be a sort of battery power for dcc. it allows a locomotive to run over dirty track for 5 or more seconds without interruption of power.

in theory this would allow short wheelbase locos like the 0-6-0 or thomas or percy to negotiate switches with insulated frogs, without stalling. can anybody tell me how well this works in real life?

I have no experience with TCS but a couple Yahoo DCC forums are having quite a few discussions on this device. Go look.
Marcus has quite a lot on it. I have posted his Keep Alive page here in the past.

Rich

CJCrescent

Generally the term "keep alive" refers to a capacitor that can hold a charge long enough to get a loco over either a dead spot, such as a frog, or over a short section of dirty track. It was used originally in just sound decoders to prevent the decoder from shutting down until the loco got across the problem.

How well it works, I really can't say, as I don't have any sound units, and on the RR that I operate on a lot, the locomotives are bigger or have enough pickups that this isn't a problem.
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

richg

Stay Alive sometimes called Keep Alive.
A capacitor on a specific spot for the Tsunami for sound only.
A capacitor, diode and resistor connected to the main filter capacitor on a decoder next to the full wave bridge rectifier for motor stay alive. There is a lot of discussion on this issue in other forums, specifically a couple of the Yahoo DCC Groups.
It appears the TCS has a pretty good stay alive solution.
In the below link, click on Stay Alive.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn/index.htm

Rich

Doneldon

Quote from: skooksteve on February 03, 2013, 03:17:57 PM
Using the tender for decoder and/or speaker is a good idea that I will stow away for future projects. Doesn't this present the problem of disguising wires running between loco and tender?

Skook-

Not really, and certainly no more than with models which come from the factory with the electronics in the tender. There are some extremely compact plugs and very flexible wires which will allow you to make the connections fairly inconspicuously. IMHO, the least distracting way to do this is with a plug which has one piece fixed to either the loco or tender. That eliminates having a bulky (compared to wires only) plug and receptacle floating between them.

-- D

skooksteve

Quote from: Doneldon on February 04, 2013, 07:27:45 PM
Quote from: skooksteve on February 03, 2013, 03:17:57 PM
Using the tender for decoder and/or speaker is a good idea that I will stow away for future projects. Doesn't this present the problem of disguising wires running between loco and tender?

Skook-

Not really, and certainly no more than with models which come from the factory with the electronics in the tender. There are some extremely compact plugs and very flexible wires which will allow you to make the connections fairly inconspicuously. IMHO, the least distracting way to do this is with a plug which has one piece fixed to either the loco or tender. That eliminates having a bulky (compared to wires only) plug and receptacle floating between them.

-- D

Thanks, Don. Very helpful. I'm continuing to learn just how much I don't know :) I think I will never get bored with this hobby.
Steve from Corvallis, Oregon

Doneldon

Quote from: skooksteve on February 04, 2013, 10:45:47 PM
Thanks, Don. Very helpful. I'm continuing to learn just how much I don't know :) I think I will never get bored with this hobby.

Skook-

I understand. For me, the best part of this hobby is that it involves so many
different aspects and things to learn or do. There's no excuse for becoming
bored as a model railroader.

-- Doneldon

Billm10454

I have 2 trolleys that I installed a TCS Keep it alive decoders. These decoders are fantastic, my trolley no longer has any problems. The trolley is an AHM LRV.

jward

i am thinking of trying one in thomas or percy. they are my smallest locomotives. .glad to hear of the positive experiences. they make me feel better about investing $50 in a decoder
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

on30gn15

Quote from: skooksteve on February 03, 2013, 03:17:57 PMDoesn't this present the problem of disguising wires running between loco and tender?
Sort of a "yes, and no" thing as there was water and air plumbing between loco and tender anyway. And some later, larger, locomotives had even more plumbing and machinery filling the gap.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest