News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Layout CAD Programs

Started by vitalejo, February 02, 2013, 10:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vitalejo

Has anyone ever used one?  If so, any suggestions on which one is best?

jward

alot of people on here use anyrail. it is easy to use, and has track libraries for bachmann ez track along with many other brands.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Nathan

There are many threads about this on this Forum.  Each person had their favorite.

Most programs have a free preview you can download and try.

I use CADRail:

http://sandiasoftware.com/

If you run into a problem Tom is very good about helping you solve it.

CJCrescent

Quote from: Nathan on February 03, 2013, 08:27:46 AM
There are many threads about this on this Forum.  Each person had their favorite.

As Nathan said, each person has their favorite. I personally prefer XtrackCad. Its a free download, has as many track libraries as all the others, in just about all the scales. There are structure libraries, etc as many others have. There's even a lumber library, to help you design your benchwork. Don't know about Cadrail or Anyrail, but after your layout is designed in XtrackCad, you can "run" trains on it to check out the operations aspect of the plan.

I found it easy to learn by following the demos that are part of the program.

If you click on the link in my sig, you'll see my layout's trackplan, under the title of "My Layout".
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

vitalejo

Thanks Carey, Nathan and jward - I will take a look and revert back.

Morgun 30

CJ, I must be missing something. I downloaded Xtrakcad and just don't follow it at all

CJCrescent

Make sure you follow the demos, they are located under "Help".

There are on-line tutorials at;

http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage

There's another good tutorial here;

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?106277-Drawing-a-Track-Plan-with-XTrkCad
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

Morgun 30

CJ, I think that the problem was that the version I downloaded didn't have the Bachmann HO library in the files. Did see the WiKka link and it was very helpful. Thanks

CJCrescent

Glad that was cleared up for you.

I just checked my program and it had 2 versions of the track in it. Ho, & N. There was even something else labeled Bach-n.xtp, but I don't know if that was structures or track.

When I'm using it to design a layout for someone, generally the only parameter files I load are the NMRA ones only. That way the client can use just about any make turnout or track he wants.
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

Balrog21

Anyrail, anyrail..best money I've spent in the railroad modeling hobby.
Bal

CNE Runner

My recommendation is AnyRail. While many of the other (more expensive) CAD programs will do considerably more (like show you your layout in 3D...whatever use that is), AnyRail is relatively inexpensive (the trial version is free...the full version is ~$60) and has a fairly gentle learning curve.

Having said that, I must admit I only use a fraction of what AnyRail is capable of doing. I don't know how 'deep into the pool' you want, or need, to go; but AnyRail will probably do all you expect of a CAD rail-planning program. It has an extensive track library that covers just about everything that is available (and is updated from time to time).

Here is another consideration: After you plan your layout, what will you use the CAD program for? I suspect it will reside on your hard drive for some time until needed again. With many of the more elaborate programs, one has to do a significant amount of re-learning (more so if your memory approaches mine). I find that I can see a small layout in, say, Railway Modeller and reproduce it with AnyRail easily. Oft times this means taking a design in OO and converting it to On30.

Of course it is your wallet and your need that should determine which program is best for you. Personally I would rather spend my 'dime' on trains...rather than an infrequently used program.

Just my opinion,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Pops

Well, since everyone is giving opinions, I'll add my two cents.

I use RailModeller.  I believe it only works on a Mac but I chose it because it is so easy to use, does what it is supposed to, works great with EZ Track, and does more than I'll ever need.  Love it.

http://www.railmodeller.com/

:)