News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO SCALE DCC

Started by MIKEJR, August 14, 2007, 12:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIKEJR

ARE OTHER BRANDS OF DCC LOCOS COMPATIBLE WITH THE DIGITAL COMMANDER CONTROL??  THANKS

Jay

Mike,

I have not had an issue with an engine that was chipped with any decoder.  Programming and operation has functioned well.  As my Digital Commander has now been handed down to my son, he also has not had an issue with an engine with a preexisting chip or one that we had installed ourselves.
Jay Johnson
The Roundhouse
www.trainweb.org/theroundhouse

SteamGene

In general, any decoder will work with any DCC system.  The Bachmann DCC system predated the "Bachmann" chip by several years.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jake

Yes, as long as it conforms to NMRA (National Model Railroad Association) standards. And don't worry, I have yet to come across a decoder that does not conform to these standards. But do make sure that you know weather your decoder(s) are made for programming on the main or a programming track. If most of your engine's decoders are set for programming on the main, and a few are set for programming on an isolated, dedicated programming track, you will have to remove those engines (or place them on an electrically isolated track) so you don't program those with your engine. And, please don't type in all caps.  ;D
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

r.cprmier

Gene;
I talked with "Tony's Trains" today.  They have the chip updates for everything, I think he said, but BLI's stuff.  He said there were a lot of differences in their Quantum decoders.  I have three more Tsunami decoders on backorder.  What I am doing is just going into an engine and stripping out everything, and just making the connections from the engine to the decoder sans any "board" in between.  It gives me more room in the tender, and just makes things simpler, I think.
One thing I didn't realize they had was a speaker enclosure; and for my money, it is well worth the investment.
What I am going to try to do is go through either Bachmann or someone else for the plugs.  If they are out tnere, I'll find them.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Rich,
Ask Tony where he got the plugs.  They are not mini, at all.  But they sure seem to work well. Better than:
Bachmann
BLI
Con-Cor
P2K
Rivarossi 

Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

Not to pirate your thread, but it does say "HO DCC."

The current online issue of "Model Railroader Newsletter" has an article that describes an interesting way to wire a reverse loop in DCC and to automatically align the turnouts.  There is also a link to a Kalmbach PDF video that has DCC wiring tips!

This might be of interest to you all, or "all y'all" as my KY sister-in-law, Brenda says!

As I have stated, this is merely to give an interesting piece of info to an interesting group!

Best Wishes,

Jack