News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

adding dcc sound

Started by union pacific 844, February 03, 2013, 11:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 844

have any one added dcc and sound in ho scale  bachmann UP 4-8-4s  and  rivarossi UP 4-8-4s engines before?

CJCrescent

Was the Bachmann Northern a Spectrum? If so those should be a matter of attaching a plug in harness to the decoder, (if a Tsunami), and plugging into the board in the tender. The hardest part of one of these installs is the mounting of the speaker.

The Rivarossi install, at least the installs I've done into Rivarossi engines, were all hard wires. The engines I installed the decoders in were not DCC ready. If the loco was a model run that came in a red box, it should at least be DCC ready.

How old are these locos?
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

union pacific 844

the bachmann UP 4-8-4 it not Spectrum and it a few months old and not dcc ready my  Rivarossi 4-8-4 is dcc ready and has a red box iss it true dcc sound will fry  Rivarossi engines?

jward

my best advice to you is to not try a sound decoder install until you are comfortable installing a regular decoder. that means learning to solder, and learning all you can about how dcc works.

in my experience, when converting to dcc, the decoder itself will fry before the motor. in most cases.....

i've never heard of a sound decoder frying a motor.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

union pacific 844

my Rivarossi 844 is going on display and im buying a .athearn 844 and get dcc
sound in my bachmann UP  4-8-4