News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ-Track turnout geometry question?

Started by fs2k4pilot, February 04, 2013, 03:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fs2k4pilot

For the EZ-track #4, #5, #6, and wye turnouts, how many degrees do the tracks diverge, and what radius are they?

CJCrescent

Quote from: fs2k4pilot on February 04, 2013, 03:08:32 AM
For the EZ-track #4, #5, #6, and wye turnouts, how many degrees do the tracks diverge, and what radius are they?

A turnout # is determined by taking a unit of measure, for example an inch, and measuring down the straight side of the turnout, then over 1 unit. For a #4 turnout, that means that for every 4" measured down the straight side, or what would be the straight side, then measure out 1" gives you a #4 frog.

For the angle, the NMRA RP 12.3 turnout dimensions gives you the angles. Here is the link directly to the page. Find the block labeled "Frog Properties" and the first dimension is the frog angle given as degrees and minutes.

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/rp12_3.html
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

jward

they don't have a radius. the curved route is a compound curve.  that said, the degree of curvature in the#4 is about 14.5-15 degrees, the #5 is 12 degrees, and the #6 is about 9.5 degrees. i base these estimates on using anyrail to design layouts, the 12 degree 35.5r curve is an exact match for the curvature in a 5, the 15 degree 18r is slightly off for a 4, as is the 10 degree 18r for a 6.

others may be able to pinpoint the degree a bit closer.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

fs2k4pilot

I'm asking because I'm looking to set up parallel tracks and parallel train station platforms using turnouts, for at least four tracks and a main line, and I'm trying to figure out which kind of curved track to use for the last track.  I may avoid the problem entirely by just having the last turnout lead to a turn table and round house, or something.

mrmtox

Thanks for that - now at least I know what the #s mean. 2nd Question - if I use a #5 turnout on each end of a siding, does anyone know what I need to attach to the turnouts to have the siding rail about 3" (center-to-center) from the main?  I know I can figure it out by trial & error, but knowing beforehand would save buying track curves and pieces that I may not need.  Continued thanks!

Len

Extend the diverging leg of the #5 turnout with a 3in straight and use a 12degree section of 33.3in radius curve to create the parallel track. This will give you roughly a 2.75in center-to-center distance between tracks.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Joe Satnik

Quote from: mrmtox on April 28, 2013, 03:23:02 PM
  I know I can figure (out track geometry problems) by trial & error, but knowing beforehand would save buying track curves and pieces that I may not need.

That is exactly the problem that AnyRail.com solves.   Give it a try.

Tell you what: 

You learn how to use AnyRail, and I'll learn how to send text messages on my numeric keypad cell phone....

Guess which one is more difficult (by a long shot)?

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

mrmtox

Len - thanks very much for that information. It will make my siding on my ceiling track very easy!!