News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacement Passenger Trucks

Started by mikehstokes, February 05, 2013, 02:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehstokes

I'm a new to Large scale.  Does Bachmann sell a metal passenger truck replacement.  The only one I saw in the catalog was a J. Sharpe which appeared to be plastic. If not Bachmann, what manufacturer would the forum recommend.  Bachmann metal wheels will be mounted.  I recently got a few LGB D&RGW passenger cars but noticed the trucks were plastic.  I was surprised thinking LGB was the Cadillac of Large scale but their trucks are plastic (soft like Lionel) with little detail.  Freight trucks will be too short according to what I read on this forum.  Any advice?  Thanks.

Chuck N

As far as I know no one has ever had any problems with the plastic trucks found on most "G" gauge cars, either passenger or freight.  Most of us have replaced the plastic wheels with axles having metal wheels.  The weight lowers the center of gravity and the cars seem to run better.  I have been running  my LGB Jackson and Sharpe Passenger cars since they came out almost 30 years ago.  I have never had any problems and I have never heard of any one else having  any problems.  I believe that they are made of DELRIN which is supposed to be a very strong plastic.

I have both Bachmann Spectrum and Big Hauler freight cars with plastic trucks and again no problems, nor have i heard of any.  The only Bachmann Trucks that have had problems were on the tender for the Connie (2-8-0). 

There are metal trucks out there, but they are expen$ive. 

Chuck

mikehstokes

I'll go with them then.  They appeared to be a soft plastic so I was concerned.  Thanks for the advice.

mikehstokes

I forgot to ask your opinion on the Aristo C-16 pulling LGB cars?  Are the scales close enough?  I know the C-16 is 1/24 but I'm sure about the LGB.

Kevin Strong

Chuck N

The LGB Narrow Gauge freight cars are closer to 1:24 than 1:22.5.  The LGB passenger cars are 1:2?.  I run a Delton RPO with my LGB coaches and they look fine.  Delton made the original C-16 that Aristo is now making.  I think that Aristo bought some of the Delton molds.  Delton was the first to mention their scale on the box and in ads.  My measurements indicate that the freight cars are spot on for 1:24 and the LGB cars are the same length, but a little taller.  Pictures of older, pre-modern freight cars show that the height of cars varied, not like modern cars.

Chuck

Larry S.

LGB and Bachmann passenger trucks are almost the same. I like the Aristo trucks as they are made of several pieces and sprung.

Larry S.
Larry S.