News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing On30 Forney Decoder

Started by mapper65, February 18, 2013, 07:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapper65

I'd like to temporarily remove the decoder in my On30 Forney. I have a reversing track setup that i eould like to run the Forney on but the controller only works on analog. Yes, I know the Forney will run on analog but the problem is that the reversing controller will not function properly if there is a decoder in the engine. If there is a decoder in the engine it will run past the stopping points and run off the track.

I see on the cut sheet that came with the engine it shows an NMRA jumper board and they say that it can be installed in place of the decoder. When I took the cover off of the bottom of the engine that has the DCC logo on it I did not see a typical 8 pin decoder connection. The cut sheet for the engine also does not show where the factory decoder is installed. Before I open up the tender I'm curious if anyone knows if there is an actual 8 pin connector in this unit and if so, how to get to it. I have an 8 pin jumper board that I can use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NarrowMinded

If this is the factory installed tsunami decoder it is located under the coal load and mine was hardwired, if it is non sound it may and likely is different, due to people wanting to upgrade.

turn your forney over you will see four tiny screws that hold the coal bunker on, the bunker looks like one piece with the cab but it is a separate part  but I think the coal load is just snapped in place.  just pull the water cover off then the coal load
NM-Jeff

Stevelewis

You may have to extend  the  length of track AFTER the  proposed  stopping  points to allow the loco  to slow  and  stop  before it reverses.

A digital decoder has the facility to allow a loco the decelerate (and accelerate) more realistically and this is probably  why your loco continues to run on a while.

there is a way  of adjusting the acceleration  & decel. rate  via CVs a simple task  but as you dont appear to have a digital set up you can not  do it!!

I have checked the above out with a friend  who has  a shuttle  line on his  layout  which he powers by  Analogue, but  uses locos fitted with decoders and all work OK
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!