News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jupiter 4-4-0 repair

Started by dende5416, January 27, 2013, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dende5416

I have a Bachmann "Old West" Jupiter 4-4-0 locomotive. In these locomotives, the motor is in the coal car and has a small "drive piece" that runs between  the coal car and the locomotive to turn the gears in the locomotive to make the locomotive run. I had picked up the entire old set at a yard sale for $5 and this is the last repair I need to do to get the train running. Does anyone know where I might be able to order a replacement part for this train so that I can save it? Otherwise, it might just have to sit in my roundhouse as a display piece when I eventually buy one. Thank you.

Stephen D. Richards

Check the Bachmann site on the parts page.  I don't know if the current drive shaft will interchange but you could call and ask them!  Stephen

Doneldon

dende-

MicroMark sells power transmission kits which should be adaptable to your 4-4-0.

-- D

Geared Steam

Quote from: dende5416 on January 27, 2013, 10:35:33 AM
I have a Bachmann "Old West" Jupiter 4-4-0 locomotive. In these locomotives, the motor is in the coal car and has a small "drive piece" that runs between  the coal car and the locomotive to turn the gears in the locomotive to make the locomotive run. I had picked up the entire old set at a yard sale for $5 and this is the last repair I need to do to get the train running. Does anyone know where I might be able to order a replacement part for this train so that I can save it? Otherwise, it might just have to sit in my roundhouse as a display piece when I eventually buy one. Thank you.

Parts are here

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_68_87

richg

The below links will help you to get a nice running loco.
I replaced the old motor with a oval can motor, 12mm x 16mm x 27mm with a 1.5mm drive shaft. The plastic adapter for the Bachmann drive shat fits the motor shaft. A press fit.
Install a DZ125 N scale decoder.
TCS makes a very nice N Scale decoder about the same size.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/bachmann_4-4-0/wipers/
http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

Rich

dende5416

After some chatting with a Bachmann representative...

Apparently, the older 4-4-0 drive shafts had a square end and the newer ones have a arrow-like head. I suppose I'll have to look around and see if a third party makes a drive shaft. Hmm...

Doneldon

5416-

You might be able to alter (i.e., carve or build up) a drive shaft
from a piece of styrene or even metal.

-- D

utdave

Ive done some drive shaft repairs with a fuel line hose off those model gas motors.  there made of vinyl or something like that.   find one that has a smaller inner core   cut to disired size  heat it up, slip each end  and you have fixed a broken drive shaft or extended it .   on some of my athearns steamers had a joy coupler type of jiont and everyone i had got broke   they dont make replacements   so i took off the  flex lov joy coupler on  the motor shaft installed the hose and then inserted the shaft .  they ran smoother than the factory one.  i think the size is like 1/16th hose.   hope this is a help to what i think is going on with that engine.    Dave    i do have a few old steamers that are in the repair yard that wont see the rails again ( scenery locos  )