News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale Yard Boss train set

Started by 007shang, February 07, 2013, 11:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

007shang

We have purchased this set for our son for his birthday and trying to set up the track but can't find the layout listing what pieces we will need all help would be appreciated. He wants an oval track with a figure eight combined, so the crossing section will be in the oval with the sides connected. Right now we have curved, straight, and a left & right remote y.  We would like to keep it around 2' wide. Thanks for any help.   

Joe Satnik

Dear 007shang,

You will be creating turn-around loops, which require insulated rail joiners or gaps in both rails to create isolated "track blocks".

To change the track polarity, you will also need special switches (for DC block wiring) or automatic reversers (for DCC wiring).

To figure out which track pieces you will need, I suggest you download AnyRail.com, a track laying CAD program that is free for the first 50 track pieces. 

Is is fun and easy to learn. 

Start by laying down 10 curves and a 60 degree crossing to make half of a simple Figure-8.   

Adjust the straights (keeping both legs identical) between the crossing and curves til it all fits.   

Fill out the other side with the same to complete the figure-8.

Replace 4 of the curves with remote turnouts.

Adjust the straights between the turnouts (keeping both legs identical) til it all fits.

Placement of the gaps in the rails will come later.   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Here is an old thread with the straight leg calculations:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,11761.0.html

Four legs, 5.71" each, pretty close to 5-3/4".
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

James in FL

Hi 007shang, and Hello Joe!
Oval track with combined figure 8...ok got it.

You don't state the degree of crossing you plan to use, Joe suggests a 60°.
We need to know this to better help.

Incidentally, Joe gives very good advice, as you can see from the link he posted; he schooled me on this several years ago.

Also as he posted, this will require several different components to make work.

I have done this, but to be honest the constant switch flipping made it a chore to operate and I soon tired of it. I also note the new short sections available now had not yet been released.
I still have an 8 made with the EZ track 11.25r and a 60° crossing that is used as a test bed on my workbench.  So, for the 8 I am using a 4½ in. and a 1⅛ in. together for my straight legs off the crossing. It is a bit short but the lokies don't seem to notice as the EZ track is forgiving and it works well. Using the new pieces, a ¾ in. will get it closer (5in. + ¾in. is as close as you will get without cutting).
Below, I've posted a picture from what I perceive you're asking.
Which one? Right or left or neither?
What degree crossing will you be using?
You posted the width, but what about the length? The 2 foot limit will put your track bed right to the edge using 11.25r.
Again we need to know this information to able to better help you.
Awaiting your reply.

[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Joe Satnik

Hi, James.

Hey, nice drawings.  

Since the OP wants to keep it at 2 feet width, it would have to be your left hand drawing.

A 60 degree crossing works easiest with 30 degree curves and 30 degree turnouts (44861 left and 44862 right).

(Half your crossing degrees + curves + turnout curve = 90 degrees.)

This makes the turnout mainlines parallel with the long side of the oval.  

A similar equation to make a Figure-8 expandable along its length:

(Half your crossing degrees + curves = 90 degrees.)

You would have to buy half-curves or quarter-curves to make some crossings work:  

Crossing, Half Crossing, (90 - HCr - 30 turnout = curves), combo

30deg,  15deg, (45), 30+15

45deg, 22.5deg, (37.5) 30+7.5

60deg, 30deg, (30) 30*

90deg, 45deg, (15) 15

*Note that only the 60 degree crossing can use just 30 degree curves.

Rotate the crossing to get a really long Figure-8:

120deg, 60deg, (0) no curves - straights only til turnout (last of "Figure-8 inside Oval" combos).

Figure-8, No oval:

135deg, 67.5deg, (22.5) 15+7.5

150deg, 75deg, (15) 15

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik