News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Flat Figure 8

Started by scooter58, February 08, 2013, 08:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter58

Hi,can someone please tell me all the HO scale EZ track needed to make a FLAT FIGURE 8 using 22" radius curves.I run large diesel locos and they need large radius curves..PLEASE HELP ASAP

GG1onFordsDTandI

Scooter I think hunt is correct on track input and you will need fabricate to wire that.
You should be able to find some threads or video tutorials pretty easy
one method, drill 2 small holes next to OUTSIDE edge of each rail. wire tip thru, bend to rail
solder. Unless you are a soldering superhero with plastic protecting abilities, a ceramic tip, induction soldering iron(not too much $ really) will save tears here.
there are also free and pay, track layout softwares that are a blast to mess with
Lay track all day and not spend a dime. Anyrail is my fav. free one.

Terry Toenges

If you have room to expand one of the legs of the figure 8, you could fit a terminal track. Just add two pieces on opposing sides somewhere between the curves.
Feel like a Mogul.

Joe Satnik

Quote from: Hunt on February 08, 2013, 06:23:04 PM
HO Bachmann E-Z Track, Figure 8 using 22" radius curves
# pieces
   28      Item No. 44503 22" radius curve    
    4       Item No. 44512 3" Straight    
    4       Item No. 44514 4 ½" Straight
    1       Item No. 44543 45 degree Crossing

Bachmann does not have a power terminal track piece that can be used with a Figure 8 track plan made using 22" curves.

Dear All,

Hunt's recipe fits nearly perfectly on a 4 x 8 sheet, 1" space on sides, and 1-3/16" space on ends.

Good thinking, Terry, on adding to the length to fit a terminal track. 

This can be done because there are track gaps between curves that naturally fall next to (and are perpendicular to) the sides. 

(No half-curves needed to adjust the gap position.)

The builder will have to add 9" to the length of his 4 x 8 sheet, though.  ( = 4 x 8'-9")

Menard's stocks 4 x 9 sheets of various materials.

Another option (to keep under 8 feet of length) would be to cut an Atlas Code 100 straight terminal "Snap" track (#840) and cork roadbed to 7-1/2" length.

Do 2 legs, one each loop, to have a direct electrical connection to each loop.

Another option, pull rail joiners and add Atlas #842 terminal joiners.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik     

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.